GN Bureau | September 14, 2015
The companies can also refer to a guidebook developed by CII and PWC. This part is on ‘Developing a CSR strategy and policy’:
The Companies Act, 2013 requires every company to put out its CSR policy in the public domain. The guidance provided in the Act and the draft rules on what constitutes a CSR policy are that it should:
• exclude normal business activities of the company.
• contain a list of the CSR projects or programmes which the company plans to undertake during the implementation year.
While specifying the annual report requirements, the draft rules go on to say is that the company must provide:
• a brief outline of its CSR policy, including ‘the statement of intent reflecting the ethos of the company, broad areas of CSR interest and an overview of activities to be undertaken’.
• a web link to the CSR policy including ‘the full list of projects, activities and programmes proposed to be undertaken by the company’.
Since most of the development requires long-term commitments and their impact often takes a while to accrue, a good CSR practice requires that a company that is serious about its CSR should develop a long-term (three to five years) vision and strategy which is reviewed annually and the activities and budgets are planned on an annual basis. The latter will comply with the CSR policy requirements of the Companies Act, 2013.
To avoid confusion regarding terms like policy, strategy, project and programme, a brief explanation has been provided here:
• CSR strategy refers to what the company expects to achieve in the next three to five years and incorporates the vision, mission and goals on a broader level. It also entails how it plans to achieve these in terms of organization and approach.
• CSR policy refers to what the company expects to achieve over the next year.
This is aligned with the requirements of the Companies Act, 2013 .
• Programme refers to a sector or an issue that the company proposes to address through its CSR. This can, for instance, be ‘education of the girl child’ or ‘agriculture development’.
Programmes will be clearly outlined in the company’s CSR strategy.
• Programme goals will be achieved through a series of individual projects and, a project refers to a set of interventions, typically in a specific geography and addressing a specific stakeholder group, with a definite set of goals, beginning and end and a budget attached to it.
• Each project in turn will consist of a number of activities. All of which contribute towards the project goals.
A successful effort to take high speed internet to over six lakh Indian villages by an IIT Bombay team failed to get support from the government. But, the same indigenous television white space technology developed by the team has now won Mozilla Corporation’s ‘equal rating innovation cha
Delhi Jal Board, in collaboration with University of Virginia on Thursday unveiled the Yamuna River Project with a symposium cum exhibition as a part of the overall effort to map out an expansive, multidisciplinary prescription to clean Yamuna. The discussion opened on the lines of eradicati
Over 22 crore LED bulbs have been distributed by Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) under UJALA scheme, union minister Piyush Goyal informed the Lok Sabha. The minister said that the National LED programme, called Unnat Jyoti by Affordable LEDs for
The Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) has identified a total of 764 Grossly Polluting Industries (industry discharging more than pollution load of Biochemical Oxygen Demand 100kg per day) along the entire stretch of river Ganga and its tributaries, the Lok Sabha was informed.
As many as 196 dams in India are over 100-years old, union minister Sanjeev Kumar Balyan informed the Lok Sabha. The minister said that National Water Resource Council adopted National Water Policy 2012 on December 28, 2012. The policy mentions that
The government has requested the Law Commission of India to undertake examination of various issues relating to uniform civil code, the Lok Sabha was informed. Union minister PP Chaudhary said that said that Article 44 of the Constitution relating to Dire