ADR/NEW analysis: 44 from BJP, 25 of INC with 25 and 13 AAP MPs/MLAs figure in the list
GN Bureau | August 10, 2023
As many as 134 sitting MPs/MLAs, out of 762 sitting MPs and 4001 sitting MLAs whose sworn affidavits were analysed by The Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR) and National Election Watch (NEW), have declared cases related to crimes against women.
The ADR and NEW have analysed 4,763 out of 4,809 election affidavits of sitting MPs and MLAs to prepare a report. This report analyses 762 out of 776 affidavits of sitting MPs and 4,001 out of 4,033 sitting MLAs from all the 28 states and two union territories in the last five years. It also includes an analysis of the affidavits submitted for bye-elections held during the five-year period due to resignation, death or vacation of seat due to some other reason.
This data has been extracted from the affidavits (Form 26) submitted with the Election Commission of India (ECI) and filed by the candidates, i.e., MP and MLAs in the present report at the time elections were held during 2018-23. The current status of the criminal cases taken from these affidavits and given the present report is not known and may vary from case to case basis. The completeness, timeliness and instant status of all data and information used in the report are dependent upon diverse resources of such data and information, which are outside of ADR's control, the organization said in a release Thursday.
For the complete report: https://adrindia.org/content/analysis-sitting-mpsmlas-declared-cases-related-crimes-against-women
Analysis of sitting MPs/MLAs with declared cases related to crimes against women:
* Out of 762 sitting MPs and 4,001 sitting MLAs analysed, 134 sitting MPs/MLAs have declared cases related to crimes against women.
* Among these 134 sitting MPs/MLAs with declared cases related to crimes against women, 21 are sitting MPs and 113 are sitting MLAs.
* 134 sitting MPs/MLAs have declared cases of crimes against women such as charges related to assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty (IPC Section-354); Kidnapping, abducting or inducing woman to compel her marriage, etc. (IPC Section-366); rape (IPC Section-376); Husband or relative of husband of a woman subjecting her to cruelty (IPC Section-498A); Buying minor for purposes of prostitution, etc. (IPC Section-373) and word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman (IPC Section-509).
Party-wise sitting MPs/MLAs with cases related to crimes against women:
* Among various parties, BJP has the highest number of sitting MPs/ MLAs, i.e., 44, followed by INC with 25 and AAP with 13 sitting MPs/MLAs who have declared cases related to crimes against women.
State Wise Sitting MPs/MLAs with cases related to Crimes against women:
* Among the states, West Bengal has the highest number of sitting MPs/ MLAs i.e., 26, followed by Maharashtra and Odisha each with 14 sitting MPs/MLAs who have declared cases related crimes against women.
Details of Sitting MPs/MLAs with Declared Cases Related to Rape:
* Out of 134 sitting MPs/MLAs who have declared cases related to crimes against women, 18 sitting MPs/MLAs have declared cases related to rape (IPC Section-376).
* Among these 18 sitting MPs/MLAs with declared cases related to rape, four are sitting MPs and 14 are sitting MLAs.
Party-wise number of sitting MPs/MLAs with declared cases related to rape:
* Among the parties, BJP has the highest number of sitting MPs/ MLAs i.e., 7, followed by INC with 6 sitting MPs/MLAs who have declared cases related to rape.
All major political parties give tickets to candidates with cases of crimes against women especially rape and therefore hindering the safety and dignity of women as citizens. These are serious cases where charges have been framed and cognizance has been taken by the courts. These figures reveal the grave malaise and travesty in our political system where powerful MPs/MLAs with cases related to crime against women are able to subvert the system, use their influence to interfere with the police investigations, use the judicial delays to their advantage and in some cases continuously harass the victims and their families. The ADR and NEW said in the statement that they recommend that:
* Candidates with a criminal background should be debarred from contesting elections.
* As directed by the Supreme Court in February 2020, Political parties should declare reasons why candidates with criminal cases are given tickets to contest elections.
* Court Cases against MPs and MLAs should be fast-tracked and decided upon in a time-bound manner with court-monitored professional and thorough investigation by Police.
* Voters should desist from electing candidates with self-declared cases related to crimes against women and other heinous crimes.
The central government will provide free food grains to about 81.35 crore beneficiaries under the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PMGKAY) for a period of five years with effect from January 1, 2024, the cabinet decided on Wednesday. Terming it as a “historic decision”, a
Survival at Stake: How Our Treatment of Animals Is Key to Human Existence By Poorva Joshipura HarperCollins, 328 pages, Rs 499 With science now recognising animal consciousness, intelligence, emotion, and even morality, there must rise an awareness of
India`s tryst with trade through the Arctic regions, including the Northern Sea Routes (NSR), has become an impact-making endeavor recently. The Arctic of yore is now a pivot – point of geopolitics, of climate change discussions, and for economic opportunities; 40% of oil and gas reserves said to be
Investing Decoded: Simple Path To Building A Portfolio In Millions By Anirudh Rathore Penguin India, 320 pages, Rs 499
Deepfake has emerged as a serious threat to democracy and social institutions across the world. Propagation of deepfake content via social media platforms has aggravated this challenge. Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has, from time to time, advised social media in
Two level of roads not enough, BMC to have triple traffic jams through underground junctions There is no shortage of short-sighted traffic experts who believe that creating more vertical space (either above or below the level) in already overcrowded and congested cities will be cou