Cabinet approves six-year programme with budgetary outlay of Rs. 17,000 crore
GN Bureau | May 17, 2023
The union cabinet on Wednesday approved the Production Linked Incentive (PLI) Scheme 2.0 for IT Hardware with a budgetary outlay Rs. 17,000 crore.
* Electronics manufacturing in India has witnessed consistent growth with 17% CAGR in last 8 years. This year it crossed a major benchmark in production – 105 billion USD (about Rs 9 lakh crore)
* India has become the world’s second largest manufacturer of mobile phones. Exports of mobile phones crossed a major milestone of 11 billion USD this year (about Rs 90 thousand crore)
* The global electronics manufacturing ecosystem is coming to India, and India is emerging as a major electronics manufacturing country
* Building on the success of Production Linked Incentive scheme (PLI) for mobile phones, the Union Cabinet today approved PLI Scheme 2.0 for IT hardware
* PLI Scheme 2.0 for IT hardware covers laptops, tablets, all-in-one PCs, servers and ultra small form factor devices
* The budgetary outlay of the scheme is Rs. 17,000 crore
* The tenure of this scheme is 6 years
* Expected incremental production is Rs. 3.35 Lakh crore
* Expected incremental investment is Rs. 2,430 crore
* Expected incremental direct employment is 75,000
* India is emerging as a trusted supply chain partner for all global majors. Large IT hardware companies have shown keen interest in establishing manufacturing facilities in India. This is further supported by strong IT services industry having good demand within the country.
* Most majors would like to supply domestic markets within India from a facility situated in India as well as make India an export hub.
Survival at Stake: How Our Treatment of Animals Is Key to Human Existence By Poorva Joshipura HarperCollins, 328 pages, Rs 499 With science now recognising animal consciousness, intelligence, emotion, and even morality, there must rise an awareness of
India`s tryst with trade through the Arctic regions, including the Northern Sea Routes (NSR), has become an impact-making endeavor recently. The Arctic of yore is now a pivot – point of geopolitics, of climate change discussions, and for economic opportunities; 40% of oil and gas reserves said to be
Investing Decoded: Simple Path To Building A Portfolio In Millions By Anirudh Rathore Penguin India, 320 pages, Rs 499
Deepfake has emerged as a serious threat to democracy and social institutions across the world. Propagation of deepfake content via social media platforms has aggravated this challenge. Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has, from time to time, advised social media in
Two level of roads not enough, BMC to have triple traffic jams through underground junctions There is no shortage of short-sighted traffic experts who believe that creating more vertical space (either above or below the level) in already overcrowded and congested cities will be cou
The Election Commission of India’s persistent efforts have led to a significant and exponential increase in seizures in the five poll-going states of Mizoram, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Rajasthan and Telangana. Seizures over Rs 1,760 crore have been reported in these five states since the announce