Amount payable under IT declaration scheme can be paid in instalments

The government has said that extension of IT declaration scheme is out of question. The scheme closes on September 30

GN Bureau | September 5, 2016


#income tax declaration   #benami   #black money  


The Income Declaration Scheme, 2016 provides an opportunity to persons who have not paid full taxes in the past to come forward and declare their undisclosed income and assets. The scheme has come into effect from June 1, 2016 and is open for declarations up to September 30, 2016.

The amount payable under the scheme can be paid in instalments – 25 percent of the total amount payable by November 30, 2016; another 25 percent by March 31, 2017 and balance 50 percent by September 30, 2017, a press release said.

An option has been provided to the declarants to file the declaration under the scheme electronically under digital signature with the Commissioner of Income-tax, Centralised Processing Centre, Bengaluru [CIT(CPC)]. In case the declarant exercises that option, the declaration shall not be shared with the jurisdictional Principal Commissioner/Commissioner under the Income-tax Act.

It is envisaged that no further clarifications on the scheme shall be issued, said the press note. “The extension of the scheme is out of question.”


The government has addressing the following major issues:
 

  • The information in respect of a valid declaration is confidential and shall neither be shared with any law enforcement agency nor shall be enquired into by the Income-tax Department.
     
  • The assets declared under the Scheme are to be valued at cost of acquisition or at fair market price as on 1.6.2016 as determined by the registered valuer, whichever is higher. However, an option for valuation of registered immovable property on the basis of stamp duty value of acquisition adjusted with the Cost Inflation Index has also been provided.
     
  • Credit for unclaimed TDS made on declared income shall be allowed.
     
  • Neither any capital gains tax nor any TDS shall be levied on transfer of declared benami property from benamidar to the declarant without consideration.
     
  • The amount of fictitious liabilities recorded in audited balance sheet and not linked to acquisition of an asset can be disclosed under the Scheme as such.
     
  • The period of holding of declared registered immovable assets shall be taken on the basis of the actual date of registration.
     
  • The valuation report obtained by the declarant from a registered valuer shall not be questioned by the department. However, valuer’s accountability will remain.
     
  • No adverse action shall be taken by FIU or the income-tax department solely on the basis of the information regarding cash deposit made consequent to the declaration under the scheme.
     
  • No enquiry/investigation shall be made in respect of the undisclosed income and assets declared under the scheme even if the evidence of same is found subsequently during course of search or survey proceedings.


 

Comments

 

Other News

CEA’s campaign against ‘poor standards’ finds some success

Chief economic advisor Arvind Subramanian’s campaign for some sense in country ratings has finally found some success. Global rating agency Moody`s Investors Service has downgraded China`s long-term local currency and foreign currency issuer ratings to A1 from Aa3 and changed the outlook to stable fr

Doubling farmers’ income challenging, yet attainable: Niti Aayog

The low level of farmers` income and year to year fluctuations in it are a major source of agrarian distress. This distress is spreading and getting severe over time impacting almost half of the population of the country that is dependent on farming for livelihood, said a Niti Aayog policy paper.

Governance, development no longer govt’s agenda: Civil society

The civil society has strongly criticized the Narendra Modi government that completes three years in office. Citizens’ Report: Promises and Reality tha

Parody of the health mission

Improving the availability of health workers, particularly at the sub-centre level, has been one of the thrust areas of the national rural health mission (NRHM).  Back in 2005, most of the sub-centres in the country were run by a single auxiliary nurse midwife (ANM). ANMs were overbu

Should there be moderation of marks in Class XII board exams?

Should there be moderation of marks in Class XII board exams?

PSUs must be more disciplined: Anil Swarup

 Public sector undertakings (PSUs) can become more efficient only through discipline, said Anil Swarup, secretary, department of school education and literacy, ministry of human resource development. Speaking at the 2nd India PSU IT Forum organised by Governance Now on Wednesdaty, Swarup laid



Video

प्रभुनाथ सिंह को हत्याकांड में उम्रकैद की सजा

Current Issue

Opinion

Facebook    Twitter    Google Plus    Linkedin    Subscribe Newsletter

Twitter