Delay in compensation wrongly calculated under NREGA: Researchers

Only 20 percent wage payments are time bound under NREGA, says a new study

pratap

Pratap Vikram Singh | August 4, 2017 | New Delhi


#Wage Payment   #NDA   #Narendra Modi   #NREGA   #Rural Employment  


A new research on the implementation of national rural employment guarantee law (NREGA) disputes the way central government measures and offers the delay in compensation to workers. A group of three independent researchers claim that the figures in the NREGA management information system (MIS) have been manipulated to only partially calculate the duration of wage delay.

“Of the 92 lakh transactions studied by the researchers, time bound wage payment happened in only 20 percent of the cases,” said Rajendran Narayanan of the Azim Premji University, addressing a press conference in New Delhi on Friday.

He said that 47 percent of the delay happened due to the incorrect calculation of the wage payment. The researchers claimed that 33 percent delays are not at all captured because of the delay in wage transfer from the central government. A total amount of Rs 689 crore as delay compensation remained uncalculated by the central government. The central government, on the contrary, states that the delay compensation is around Rs 519 crore.

The researchers studied the scheme implementation in 3,446 village panchayats across Jharkhand, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Karnataka, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, West Bengal and Kerala.

“For the financial year 2016-17, the ministry has already spent 80 percent of the funds in last four months. For the remaining months, it is only left with 20 percent of the fund,” said Yogendra Yadav of Swaraj Abhiyan, citing the new report.

The law mandates payment  of  wages  to  workers  within  15  days  of  them  completing  their  allocated  work.

According to the research, on an average the delay in crediting wages in the accounts of beneficiaries is 63 days across the ten states. It is interesting to note that while the delay in BJP ruled states vary from 6 to 12 days, it varies from 39 to 89 days in the non-BJP states.

The key concerns, researchers said, around the delay in compensation includes the fraud method of calculation of delayed amount, lack of clarity in accountability of central and state governments and arbitrary power to reject the compensation.
The conference was also addressed by Anuradha Talwar (NREGA Sangharsh Morcha), Dipa Sinha (Right to Food Campaign), Nikhil Dey (People's Action for Employment Guarantee) and Prashant Bhushan (National President, Swaraj Abhiyan).


 

Comments

 

Other News

Defence secretary reviews progress of aircraft carrier at Cochin Shipyard

Defence secretary Sanjay Mitra reviewed the Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC) project at Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL) on Jul 19. During the onboard visit, Mitra was given a briefing on the progress of the aircraft carrier construction by warship production superintendent Commodore Cyril Tho

Govt relaxes production sharing contracts of pre-NELP and NELP blocks, lowers ONGC burden

In order to boost domestic production of hydrocarbon resources, the centre has approved the policy framework for streamlining operations of production sharing contracts (PSCs) in pre-NELP (new exploration licensing policy) and NELP blocks. The policy framework includes special dispensation f

CSIR-NPL wants to develop petroleum certified materials with HPCL

In its bid to indigenously develop petroleum certified reference materials branded as Bhartiya Niredeshak Dravyas, CSIR- National Physical Laboratory (NPL) has signed a pact with Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL). It will not only ensure maintaining highest standard quality ecos

31.67 GW of renewable energy capacity installed in last three years

A total of 31.67 GW of renewable energy capacity has been installed through implementation of various renewable energy schemes and programmes in the last three years in the country. Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency (IREDA) has conducted several following studies with foreign assist

An elastic plastic ban

For a ban that arrived with a bang, it seems to be fading away even before it could take effect. The Maharashtra government has backtracted to allow groceries and general stores to continue to use plastic for packaging after shopkeepers associations complained to state environment minister Ramdas Kadam. Al

BDL secures export order of $14.33 million

Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) has achieved 65 percent of its export target for 2018-19 FY after it bagged an export order worth $14.33 million for export of light weight torpedoes to a friendly country. BDL has a dedicated unit at Visakhapatnam exclusively for manufacture of underwater weapo

Current Issue

Current Issue

Video

CM Nitish’s convoy attacked in Buxar

Opinion

Facebook    Twitter    Google Plus    Linkedin    Subscribe Newsletter

Twitter