Why Mithun Chakraborty is good news for India

When everybody is out to gain and cheat the actor has returned funds that can be distributed among distraught depositors of Saradha group

GN Bureau | June 17, 2015


#saradha group   #mithun chakraborty   #trinamool congress   #enforcement directorate   #west Bengal   #odisha   #assam  

In times of crisis of confidence in public figures, politicans and VIPs, film actor and member of parliament Mithun Chakraborty comes as a breath of fresh air.

On Tuesday, the Rajya Sabha member from Trinamool Congress surrendered to the enforcement directorate Rs 1.2 crore, which he had received from the scam tainted Saradha Group.

“Mithun Chakraborty had taken a professional fees from the Saradha Group for hosting a television show. Today we had come to return the money,” Biman Sarkar, the actor’s counsel said.

Sarkar went to ED office during the day and submitted a demand draft for Rs. 1,19,88,560. Sarkar said that the actor has returned the money voluntarily. Mr. Chakraborty had been questioned by the ED officials twice. The decision was taken after discussions with the agency, he said.

Chakraborty had promised he would deposit the amount of Rs 1.2 crore he had received from Saradha Group so that it may be finally restored to the depositors who were allegedly cheated in the scam.

The agency is satisfied with the said action and the statement recorded by the actor-politician regarding his role in the operations of the group, which has now become defunct in the wake of allegations against it of perpetrating a large-scale chit-fund scam in West Bengal and other states.

Chakraborty had told investigators that he had "no business dealings" with the now-defunct group which was headed by Sudipta Sen and that he would share all personal transaction details with them. Subsequently, he had provided the agency sleuths with a number of DVDs, CDs and scripts that he had got as part of being the brand ambassador of the Saradha group.

He had told investigators that he had no inkling about any sort of scam that was being perpetrated. The actor had submitted all his personal and official records to the agency in this regard.

The probe agency had in June last year questioned the actor in Mumbai after it detected that some money had gone into his account from Saradha business portals.

The agency had registered a criminal case and has already questioned a number of people, including sitting MPs and political leaders, in this regard. The agency has found that a maze of 338 bank accounts and 224 companies were used by the perpetrators of the alleged ponzi scam which duped investors in various states including West Bengal, Odisha and Assam.

Comments

 

Other News

Governance, development no longer govt’s agenda: Civil society

The civil society has strongly criticized the Narendra Modi government that completes three years in office. Citizens’ Report: Promises and Reality tha

Parody of the health mission

Improving the availability of health workers, particularly at the sub-centre level, has been one of the thrust areas of the national rural health mission (NRHM).  Back in 2005, most of the sub-centres in the country were run by a single auxiliary nurse midwife (ANM). ANMs were overbu

Should there be moderation of marks in Class XII board exams?

Should there be moderation of marks in Class XII board exams?

PSUs must be more disciplined: Anil Swarup

 Public sector undertakings (PSUs) can become more efficient only through discipline, said Anil Swarup, secretary, department of school education and literacy, ministry of human resource development. Speaking at the 2nd India PSU IT Forum organised by Governance Now on Wednesdaty, Swarup laid

Tejas Express: Not so tej

Tejas Express, a semi-high speed train, is supposed to run at 200 kmph. But, on its inaugural run between Mumbai to Karmali (Goa), it touched a maximum speed of 110 kmph. A few days before it was flagged off by railway minister Suresh Prabhu on May 22, Indian Railways claimed that the train can r

NHRC notice to Jharkhand over abduction of 1,000 kids

The National Human Rights Commission has issued a notice to the Jharkhand government and sought a report over 1,000 children being reportedly abducted and recruited by Maoists over the past few years.   The commission cited a news article and said that it brings forth the sta



Video

प्रभुनाथ सिंह को हत्याकांड में उम्रकैद की सजा

Current Issue

Opinion

Facebook    Twitter    Google Plus    Linkedin    Subscribe Newsletter

Twitter