250 projects identified for domestic and foreign investors
GN Bureau | April 14, 2016
The first-ever Maritime India Summit was inaugurated on Thursday by prime minister Narendra Modi in Mumbai. Here are the key developments and announcements:
• Investment deals worth Rs 82,000 crore are expected to be signed during the summit
• Over 3,000 delegates, including 300 international delegates from 41 countries, have registered in the three-day long summit.
• The ministry of shipping has identified 250 projects being offered at the summit and over 100 under the Sagarmala project in the maritime sector for domestic and foreign investors. They include development of new ports and modernisation of new berths and terminals at existing ports.
• An amount of USD 600 is being invested to make river Ganga navigable over 1,620 km, said Nitin Gadkari, minister for road transport and highways and shipping.
• PM Modi highlighted that oceans cover 70 percent of earth's surface and thus maritime trade is important
• The PM sought to increase port capacity from 1,400 million tonne to 3,000 million tonne by 2025
• Modi raised the concern over climate change, and urged speakers to address the issue at the current forum
• The prime minister took pride in India’s coastline of 7500 km capable of offering vast investment opportunities, and called upon the international community to partner with India for port related development
• India and South Korea signed a memorandum of understanding for cooperation and mutual assistance in the port sector
• The summit will also witness 13 technical sessions, 200 exhibitors and 52 participants from South Korea
The Railways was unable to meet its operational cost of passenger and other coaching services. During 2014-15, there was a loss of Rs 33,821.70 crore on passenger and other coaching services. The freight services earned a profit of Rs 38,312.59 crore which indicated that 88.28 percent
Seasoned BJP parliamentarian Nand Kumar Sai, who took charge as the chairperson of the National Commission for Scheduled Tribes (NCST) on February 28, has his work cut out for him. Archana Mishra caught up with Sai, 71, on his first day in office where he
Should there be automatic termination as member of parliament if that person takes oath as minister/chief minister in a state?
When the truth was a few steps away from Modi’s gaze In November 2014, prime minister Narendra Modi made his first visit to his constituency Varanasi and launched a massive cleanliness drive at Asi ghat, which was covered in mud and silt. When locals sa
India has slipped one spot in the Human Development Index 2016. India’s HDI value for 2015 is 0.624 — which put the country in the medium human development category - positioning it at 131 out of 188 countries and territories. Between 1990 and 2015,
An appeal was made to PSUs to contribute funds under their CSR Scheme towards Health Minister’s Cancer Patient Fund-CSR for treatment of poor cancer patients. India Infrastructure Finance Company Limited (IIFCL) contributed an amount of Rs 7.5 crore in 2015-16.