250 projects identified for domestic and foreign investors
GN Bureau | April 14, 2016
The first-ever Maritime India Summit was inaugurated on Thursday by prime minister Narendra Modi in Mumbai. Here are the key developments and announcements:
• Investment deals worth Rs 82,000 crore are expected to be signed during the summit
• Over 3,000 delegates, including 300 international delegates from 41 countries, have registered in the three-day long summit.
• The ministry of shipping has identified 250 projects being offered at the summit and over 100 under the Sagarmala project in the maritime sector for domestic and foreign investors. They include development of new ports and modernisation of new berths and terminals at existing ports.
• An amount of USD 600 is being invested to make river Ganga navigable over 1,620 km, said Nitin Gadkari, minister for road transport and highways and shipping.
• PM Modi highlighted that oceans cover 70 percent of earth's surface and thus maritime trade is important
• The PM sought to increase port capacity from 1,400 million tonne to 3,000 million tonne by 2025
• Modi raised the concern over climate change, and urged speakers to address the issue at the current forum
• The prime minister took pride in India’s coastline of 7500 km capable of offering vast investment opportunities, and called upon the international community to partner with India for port related development
• India and South Korea signed a memorandum of understanding for cooperation and mutual assistance in the port sector
• The summit will also witness 13 technical sessions, 200 exhibitors and 52 participants from South Korea
Mumbai is one of busiest airports in India, handling a large volume of domestic and international flights including military, non-scheduled and general aviation flights. Mumbai`s Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (CSMIA) has two intersecting runways which cannot be operated
BrihanMumbai municipal corporation is floating nearly 900 tenders worth of Rs 150 crore in the next 10 days, but that is only for ward-level civic works, the BMC clarified on Monday, reacting to reports in a section of media. “Since there are 25 wards in BMC, it involves m
In a first-of-its-kind initiative, Election Commission of India (ECI) on Monday signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with two prominent organisations, the Indian Banks’ Association (IBA) and the Department of Posts (DoP), to amplify its voter outreach and awareness efforts ahead of the forthcom
Snakes, Drugs and Rock ’N’ Roll: My Early Years By Romulus Whitaker with Janaki Lenin HarperCollins, 400 pages, Rs 699
The Moral Contagion By Julia Hauser and Sarnath Banerjee HarperCollins, 140 pages, Rs 699 The world has lar
Addressing the Viksit Bharat Viksit Uttar Pradesh program in Lucknow on Monday, prime minister Narendra Modi launched 14,000 projects across the state, worth more than Rs 10 lakh crore at the fourth groundbreaking ceremony of UP Global Investors Summit held in February 2023. The projects relate to sectors