Railways sector has prepared an investment roadmap of Rs 8.8 lakh crore.
GN Bureau | March 18, 2016
Manoj Sinha, union minister of state for railways, said that as soon as the NDA government came into power, the focus shifted to decongesting and expanding the railway network. Speaking at the Railways Reform and Governance Conclave, organised by Governance Now in New Delhi on Friday, he said, “We have increased investment in this direction”.
Sinha highlighted ten key developments in the railways sector:
• Railways sector has prepared an investment roadmap of Rs 8.8 lakh crore.
• Budget allocation has increased to Rs 1.21 lakh crore this year from Rs 1 lakh crore allocated last year.
• Presently, 7 kilometres of railway lines are laid per day. The target has been set to 13 kilometres per day.
• Target of removing all unmanned railway crossing in next three-four years. 9,683 unmanned crossings already fixed.
• Target of increasing the non-ticketing revenue from 4-5 percent to 10 percent.
• IRCTC has been asked to do a third-party audit of cleanliness at all railway stations. Awards to be given to top ten clean railway stations.
• Railway week organised and officials working with utmost dedication and integrity to be awarded.
• The ministry has submitted action taken report to the parliament on 139 announcements made in the last budget.
• Work related to projects proposed for 2016-17 to be initiated within 6 months.
• Target of zero accidents and better reservation system by year 2020.
Since the budget has been announced, the ministry has already started doing preliminary work for achieving the targets mentioned in the budget. “We have recently entered into an MoU with ISRO for using space technology in railways,” Sinha added.
Prime minister Narendra Modi underlined the need for a consensus among the nation to realise the dream of a beautiful shared future, as he addressed the plenary session of the World Economic Forum (WEF) in Davos on Tuesday. After introductory remarks by the Forum`s founder and executive chai
REC Transmission Projects Company Ltd (RECTPCL), a subsidiary of Rural Electrification Corporation Ltd (REC), has handed over project specific special purpose vehicle (SPV) namely ERSS XXI Transmission Ltd to Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd (PGCIL). Competing alongside with the private p
Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML), a ministry of defence PSU, has launched a 5.4 ton wheel loader BL30-1 at Excon Exhibition 2017 in Bangalore. The high performance and rugged wheel loader is designed and developed by BEML. BL30-1 Frontend Wheel Loader is designed for maximum
The supreme court should be subjected to constant scrutiny so that it improves, Justice Jasti Chelameswar said at a book release function on Monday. This was his first public appearance in Delhi after a January 12 press conference at which he and three fellow judges had spoken up about their differences wi
Much before Communist Party of India (Marxist) general secretary Sitaram Yechury got marginalised within the party’s central committee last week over the possibility of an alliance with the Congress, is learnt to have had an interesting conversation with Arun Jaitley, his fellow student-politician ba
Pandit Chhannulal Mishra is a noted exponent of Banaras and Kairana gharanas. Born in Hariharpur of Azamgarh district, he learnt musical notes from various gurus and thus his music is an amalgamation of various forms and gharanas. His classical folk music has been mesmerising music lovers across the wo