Railways sector has prepared an investment roadmap of Rs 8.8 lakh crore.
GN Bureau | March 18, 2016
Manoj Sinha, union minister of state for railways, said that as soon as the NDA government came into power, the focus shifted to decongesting and expanding the railway network. Speaking at the Railways Reform and Governance Conclave, organised by Governance Now in New Delhi on Friday, he said, “We have increased investment in this direction”.
Sinha highlighted ten key developments in the railways sector:
• Railways sector has prepared an investment roadmap of Rs 8.8 lakh crore.
• Budget allocation has increased to Rs 1.21 lakh crore this year from Rs 1 lakh crore allocated last year.
• Presently, 7 kilometres of railway lines are laid per day. The target has been set to 13 kilometres per day.
• Target of removing all unmanned railway crossing in next three-four years. 9,683 unmanned crossings already fixed.
• Target of increasing the non-ticketing revenue from 4-5 percent to 10 percent.
• IRCTC has been asked to do a third-party audit of cleanliness at all railway stations. Awards to be given to top ten clean railway stations.
• Railway week organised and officials working with utmost dedication and integrity to be awarded.
• The ministry has submitted action taken report to the parliament on 139 announcements made in the last budget.
• Work related to projects proposed for 2016-17 to be initiated within 6 months.
• Target of zero accidents and better reservation system by year 2020.
Since the budget has been announced, the ministry has already started doing preliminary work for achieving the targets mentioned in the budget. “We have recently entered into an MoU with ISRO for using space technology in railways,” Sinha added.
More than three percent of medicines in India are ‘Not of Standard Quality’ (NSQ) and 0.0245 percent spurious, reveals a survey report on drugs quality by the ministry of health. The survey carried out by National Institute of Biologicals (NIB), Noida found that out of the
Bharat electronics limited (BEL) has launched a new weapon control system — Remote Controlled Weapon Station (RCWS) / Air Defence Weapon Station (ADWS) for 12.7 mm gun of MBT Arjun Mk II battle tank during recently concluded Aero India 2017 in Bengaluru. The new weapon control system
The Sasikala camp is in talks with the O Panneerselvam (OPS) faction and they are trying to win them over, says an AIADMK insider. Negotiation have started between the main AIADMK, which is with Sasikala, and the splinter group that is supporting former chief minister OPS. The party insider
On October 1 last year, Mehtab Alam Ansari, 30, who worked as a tailor in Delhi, had arrived in his village, Chepa Khurd in Barkagaon tehsil of Harazibagh district, to celebrate Eid with his family. That morning, he was nearing Dadi Kalan, a neighbouring village, to meet an acquaintance when he hea
State run enterprise oil and natural gas corporation limited (ONGC) has decided to invest Rs 7,327 crore to develop five projects to produce oil and gas. The decision was taken in its 290th board meeting held on February 23. The projects include development of R-Series fields, incl
The civic election results could well have long term implications in Maharashtra’s politics, with the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) doing dramatically well and the Shiv Sena failing to get a simple majority. The Shiv Sena won 84 seats, while the BJP bagged 82 seats. Th