Half the wealth of the world owned by just 1%

Rest of 99% have very little and ‘inequality is staggering’ says Oxfam

GN Bureau | January 19, 2015



This ratio that you are about to read is irrational by any standards. Last year 48% of world’s wealth was owned by just 1% and next year they will have 50%.

It means, the wealth accumulated by the richest 1% will exceed that of the other 99% in 2016, the Oxfam charity said on Monday. The charity's research shows that the share of the world's wealth owned by the richest 1% increased from 44% in 2009 to 48% last year. Oxfam expects the wealthiest 1% to own more than 50% of the world's wealth by 2016.

Last year the 85 richest people has the same wealth as the poorest 50% (3.5 billion people). And comparison becomes even more stark, with the 80 richest people in possession of the same wealth as the poorest 50% by next year.

"The scale of global inequality is quite simply staggering and despite the issues shooting up the global agenda, the gap between the richest and the rest is widening fast," Oxfam executive director Winnie Byanyima said.

The Oxfam research coincides with the start of the World Economic Forum in Davos on Wednesday. Byanyima will co-chair the Davos event. "Do we really want to live in a world where the one percent own more than the rest of us combined?" she said on Monday.

The 45th World Economic Forum that runs from Wednesday to Saturday will draw a record number of participants this year with more than 300 heads of state and government attending.

The charity is calling on governments to adopt a seven-point plan to tackle inequality, including a clampdown on tax evasion and the move towards a living wage for all workers. "It is time our leaders took on the powerful vested interests that stand in the way of a fairer and more prosperous world,” the Oxfam said.

Comments

 

Other News

SC must be subject to constant scrutiny: Justice Chelameswar

The supreme court should be subjected to constant scrutiny so that it improves, Justice Jasti Chelameswar said at a book release function on Monday. This was his first public appearance after a January 12 press conference at which he and three fellow judges had spoken up about their differences with CJI De

Karat then, Yechury now; Left leadership remains clueless

Much before Communist Party of India (Marxist) general secretary Sitaram Yechury got marginalised within the party’s central committee last week over the possibility of an alliance with the Congress, is learnt to have had an interesting conversation with Arun Jaitley, his fellow student-politician ba

Thumri should be taught in schools: Chhannulal Mishra

Pandit Chhannulal Mishra is a noted exponent of Banaras and Kairana gharanas. Born in Hariharpur of Azamgarh district, he learnt musical notes from various gurus and thus his music is an amalgamation of various forms and gharanas. His classical folk music has been mesmerising music lovers across the wo

Matheran on the losing track

“It’s a national shame,” rues Ali Akbar Peerbhoy, grandson of the founder of the Matheran hill railway, which plies the Matheran toy train. For today, the railway is struggling for survival. The red soil of the hill station, the horse rides, the silence of the forested hills are all under

ONGC acquires 51.11% stake in HPCL

In its bid to create an oil major to match the performance of global and domestic oil and gas players, Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (ONGC) board has approved the acquisition of entire 51.11 percent shareholding of the government in Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd (HPCL) with a total acqu

Foundation of mine counters measure vessels command laid at Goa Shipyard

Goa chief minister Manohar Parrikar recently laid the foundation stone of the Rs 120 crore- MCMV (mine counters measure vessels) Command, Control & Design Office at Goa Shipyard Ltd, Vasco in Goa. The defence ministry has entrusted the GSL for series construction of sophisticated and hig

Current Issue

Current Issue

Video

CM Nitish’s convoy attacked in Buxar

Opinion

Facebook    Twitter    Google Plus    Linkedin    Subscribe Newsletter

Twitter