Jindal and Balco bids for coal mines rejected

Speculation of cartlisation during auction process

GN Staff | March 21, 2015


#coal auction   #jindal steel  

The government has rejected bids for four of 33 coal mines put up for auction in the past two months.
Those whose bids have been rejected are Jindal Steel and Power Ltd (JSPL) and Balco, amid speculation of cartelisation during the auction of coal blocks.

Out of the nine blocks, which were examined by the coal ministry for low bids that were termed as “outliers”, the government has accepted five.
“Bids for Gare Palma IV/1, IV/2, IV/3 and Tara coal blocks not accepted,” coal secretary Anil Swarup tweeted.

Talking to Governance Now earlier, coal secretary Swarup had said, “There are nine cases where bids are being re-examined. No one has questioned the process as such. When bids came to us we found that there were certain 'outliers'. There were some bids outside the trend. And we want to understand the reason for that.”

The government can now auction these blocks again, give them back to Coal India or give them to the states.
Jindal Power had emerged as successful bidder for Gare IV/2, Gare Palma IV/3 and Tara Coal blocks while Bharat Aluminium Company(Balco) had emerged as successful bidder for Gare Palma IV/1 coal block.

However, bids for five blocks have been accepted, Swarup tweeted.

Swarup had earlier insisted that the government wasn’t looking at cartelisation aspect at the moment.

There had been reports that some bidders could have indulged in cartelisation to keep the prices low for the concerned mines.
“In the schedule II, we were looking at four mines and in schedule III we are looking at five mines...Prima facie we found that it requires a re-examination, so it has been re-examined that is about all,” Swarup had earlier said.

The coal blocks which did not figure in the list of successful bidders of schedule III mines (ready to produce) were Brinda and Sasai mine (one bid was invited for both the mines), Meral mine, Dumri mine, Tara mine and Mandla South mine.

Comments

 

Other News

PNB fraud: Former RBI deputy governor had warned about SWIFT

A top Reserve Bank of India official had waved the red flag, a year back, regarding the SWIFT messaging system. SWIFT was used in a fraud amounting to Rs 11,000 crore at a Punjab National Bank branch that benefited billionaire diamond jeweler Nirav Modi.   Former RBI deputy gover

What happened to Anshu Prakash

Delhi chief secretary Anshu Prakash’s claim that he was manhandled by Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) lawmakers in the presence of Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal has kicked up a storm. Here is what transpired on Monday night and the events that unfolded through Tuesday.  

Is banks` messaging system SWIFT secure enough?

Is banks` messaging system SWIFT secure enough?

Modi post Modi: “It is a question of your leadership…”

Diagnosing what ails India’s governance, Bihar chief minister Nitish Kumar used to name three units or offices that are so corrupted that they are beyond redemption: village patwaris, police station darogas and Railways ticket collectors. In his stint as executive head of Bihar, he seems to have incl

Could RTI have saved banks from scams?

Could RTI have saved banks from scams?

How RTI could have prevented the PNB fraud

The Right to Information (RTI), used efficiently, could have helped activists and bankers expose irregularities much before they snowballed into full-fledged scams – the one at Punjab National Bank (PNB) being only the latest example. That is the argument coming from Shailesh Gandhi, f

Current Issue

Current Issue

Video

CM Nitish’s convoy attacked in Buxar

Opinion

Facebook    Twitter    Google Plus    Linkedin    Subscribe Newsletter

Twitter