Meet Bhoomata Ranragini Brigade chief who is trying to defy age old religious beliefs
Defying the dress code, Bhoomata Ranragini Brigade leader Trupti Desai entered the inner sanctum of Mahalaxmi temple in Kolhapur. The police and priests had adviced her to wear a sari inside 'girbh griha' of the temple. Though some priests and devotees tried to block her way, the activist tried to enter the inner sanctum wearing salwar kameez.
But who is Trupti Desai and what work does her brigade do?
- As per the Wiki page of the Bhoomata Brigade, the organisation is dedicated towards fighting injustice against women and corruption.
- The organisation was founded by Trupti Desai in 2010 in Pune. As of now it has 4,000 members all over Maharashtra, including some male members.
- Under the umbrella of Bhoomata Brigade is the Bhoomata Ranragini Brigade, which is specifically dedicated to women causes.
- In some of her interviews Desai said that she had to leave her studies midway due to some family problems. She was pursuing home science from Shrimati Nathibai Damodar Thackersee College but had to leave college in first year.
- Desai has been working for social causes long before she formed the brigade. In 2008, she was instrumental in exposing a banking scam. NCP leader Ajit Pawar was the chairman of the Ajit Cooperative Bank, which was involved in the scam. Desai claims that she managed to get back the money of 29,000 depositors.
- Bhoomata Brigade was associated with Anna Hazare’s Jan Lokpal agitation.
- The organisation came into limelight after their agitation against the ban on entry of women in Shani Shingnapur temple in Ahmednagar, Maharashtra. Hundreds of women had gathered on January 26 this year to enter the temple, defying a 400-year-old ban on women. They were stopped by the authorities.
- Bhumata Brigade is not associated with any political party. In her various interviews, Desai claims that she has “no political ambitions”.