35 km mainline steel third-rail to be replaced with aluminium third-rail: Can save Rs 210 crore
GN Bureau | August 30, 2023
Kolkata Metro Railway has decided to use composite aluminium third rail in all the upcoming corridors being undertaken for construction along with retro fitment in existing corridor with steel third rail. With this, Kolkata will become a member of the elite club of London, Moscow, Berlin, Munich, and Istanbul metros which have also shifted from steel third rail to aluminium third rail.
Kolkata Metro Railway, India’s first metro built by Indian Railways and launched on October 24, 1984, has been serving as a lifeline for Kolkata, the city of Joy for nearly 40 long years.
In Kolkata Metro Railway, the power to Metro Rake is supplied to rolling stock at 750V DC through steel third rail. The Third Rail Current Collector (TRCC) made of steel fitted on metro rake collects the current from Third Rail. Kolkata Metro Railway using steel Third Rail for the last 40 years.
Metro Railway Kolkata has floated a tender for replacement of existing third rail, in the first phase to cover the section between Dumdum to Shyambazar, the railway ministry said in an official release on Wednesday. In the second phase work would be taken up from Shyambazar to Central and J D Park to Tollygunge. In the third phase, the section between Mahanayak Uttam Kumar (Tollygunge) to Kavi Subhash (New Garia) shall be taken up. So, total 35 RKm main line steel Third Rail shall be replaced in stages.
The obvious advantages of aluminium composite third rail over steel third rail are:
* Reduction in resistive current loss and improved Traction voltage level as the resistance of steel Third Rail is around six times higher than composite Aluminium Third Rail.
* On an average, for 10 km corridor with use of Aluminium composite Third Rail would require 01 no. less Traction Substation compared to steel Third Rail, i.e., a saving of nearly Rs 210 crore capital investment for a 35 km of Metro corridor.
* The reduced voltage drop shall facilitate achieving faster acceleration with the same rake available with Kolkata Metro Railway.
* Reduced maintenance and life cycle cost. The requirement of painting of Third Rail every 5 years may not be needed anymore. The frequency of measurement of Third Rail dimension may reduce significantly. There may be no possibility of damage due to rusting etc
* Improvement in the efficiency of train operations.
* Huge improvement in Energy Efficiency and reduction in carbon footprint.
* Estimated energy saving using composite Aluminium Third Rail may be approximately 6.7 million units per annum.
* Improved headway of the trains.
The central government will provide free food grains to about 81.35 crore beneficiaries under the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PMGKAY) for a period of five years with effect from January 1, 2024, the cabinet decided on Wednesday. Terming it as a “historic decision”, a
Survival at Stake: How Our Treatment of Animals Is Key to Human Existence By Poorva Joshipura HarperCollins, 328 pages, Rs 499 With science now recognising animal consciousness, intelligence, emotion, and even morality, there must rise an awareness of
India`s tryst with trade through the Arctic regions, including the Northern Sea Routes (NSR), has become an impact-making endeavor recently. The Arctic of yore is now a pivot – point of geopolitics, of climate change discussions, and for economic opportunities; 40% of oil and gas reserves said to be
Investing Decoded: Simple Path To Building A Portfolio In Millions By Anirudh Rathore Penguin India, 320 pages, Rs 499
Deepfake has emerged as a serious threat to democracy and social institutions across the world. Propagation of deepfake content via social media platforms has aggravated this challenge. Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has, from time to time, advised social media in
Two level of roads not enough, BMC to have triple traffic jams through underground junctions There is no shortage of short-sighted traffic experts who believe that creating more vertical space (either above or below the level) in already overcrowded and congested cities will be cou