ADR analysis of affidavits: Every other winner has declared serious criminal cases
GN Bureau | November 11, 2020
About 68 percent of the winners in the Bihar assembly elections have declared criminal cases against themselves – and 51 percent have declared serious criminal cases including cases related to murder, attempt to murder, kidnapping or crimes against women, according to an analysis by the Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR).
ADR and the Bihar Election Watch analysed self-sworn affidavits of 241 out of the 243 winning candidates, and found that 163 (68%) winning candidates have declared criminal cases against themselves. In the previous election of 2015, the figure was 58%. Moreover, 123 (51%) winning candidates have declared serious criminal cases including cases related to murder, attempt to murder, kidnapping, crimes against women etc. The 2015 figure for this category was 40 percent.
Read the full analysis report here: https://adrindia.org/content/bihar-assembly-election-2020-analysis-criminal-background-financial-education-gender-and
Among other findings of the analysis:
• 19 winning candidates have declared cases related to murder (IPC Section 302) against themselves
• 31 winning candidates have declared cases of attempt to murder (IPC Section 307)
• 8 winning candidates have declared cases related to crimes against women
• Among the major parties, 54 (73%) out of 74 winners from RJD, 47 (64%) of the BJP’s 73 winners, 20 (47%) out of 43 winning candidates from JD(U), 16 (84%) out of 19 winning candidates from the Congress, 10 (83%) out of 12 winning candidates from CPI(ML)(L) and 5 (100%) out of 5 winning candidates from AIMIM have declared criminal cases against themselves in their affidavits.
• Among the major parties, 44 (60%) of the RJD winners, 35 (48%) of the BJP winners, 11 (26%) of JD(U), 11 (58%) of the Congress, 8 (67%) of CPI(ML)(L) and 5 of AIMIM winning candidates have declared serious criminal cases against themselves in their affidavits.
• 194 (81%) are crorepatis. The figure in 2015 was 162 (67%).
• Among the major parties, 65 from BJP, 64 from RJD, 38 from JD(U) and 14 from the Congress winning candidates have declared assets worth more than Rs. 1 crore.
• The average of assets per winning candidates is Rs 4.32 crore – up from Rs 3.02 crore in 2015.
• The winner with highest assets is Anant Kumar Singh of RJD (total assets Rs 68.56 crore)
• The winner with the lowest asset is Ramvriksh Sada Khagaria of RJD (Rs 70,000)
Other background details
• Education: 82 (34%) winning candidates have declared their educational qualification to be between 5th pass and 12th pass, while 149 (62%) winning candidates have declared having an educational qualification of graduate and above.
• Age: 115 (48%) winning candidates have declared their age to be between 25 and 50 years while 126 (52%) winning candidates have declared their age to be between 51 and 80 years.
• Gender: Out of 241 winning candidates analysed, 26 (11%) winning candidates are women. In 2015, out of 243 MLAs, 28 (12%) MLAs were women.
The gross Good & Services Tax (GST) revenue collected in the month of May, 2023 is ₹1,57,090 crore of which CGST is ₹28,411 crore, SGST is ₹35,828 crore, IGST is ₹81,363 crore (including ₹41,772 crore collected on import of goods) and cess is ₹11,489 crore (including ₹1,057 crore collecte
Climate change rising temperature and sea levels are posing new risks for coastal cities. With population growth rate of 1%- 2% in India every year, Mumbai too is growing and is population will double from 20 million to 40 million in the coming years. The city is also at the risk of rising sea level. It ne
Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Science and Technology, MoS PMO, Department of Atomic Energy and Department of Space and MoS Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, Dr Jitendra Singh on Tuesday interacted with and felicitated the first 20 All India Toppers of IAS/ Civil Services Exam 20
In a major decision, the Government has decided to grant waiver of ISTS charges to Off-Shore Wind Projects and extend the waiver to Green Hydrogen/Green Ammonia. This decision has been taken to facilitate wider execution of offshore wind energy initiatives, to promote the expansion of Green Hydrogen / Gree
Urging use of alternative and cost effective fuels to reduce pollution caused by vehicles, union road transport and highways minister Nitin Gadkari on Thursday said finding cost-effective fuels is the need of the hour and underlined that use of fuels like bio-CNG and green hydrogen help in protecting the e
The foodgrain production of 3305.34 lakh tonnes is estimated in the current agricultural year 2022-23 – higher by 149.18 LMT as compared to the previous year, according to the Third Advance Estimates of production of major crops released by the ministry of agriculture and farmers welfare.