ADR analysis of affidavits: Every other winner has declared serious criminal cases
GN Bureau | November 11, 2020
About 68 percent of the winners in the Bihar assembly elections have declared criminal cases against themselves – and 51 percent have declared serious criminal cases including cases related to murder, attempt to murder, kidnapping or crimes against women, according to an analysis by the Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR).
ADR and the Bihar Election Watch analysed self-sworn affidavits of 241 out of the 243 winning candidates, and found that 163 (68%) winning candidates have declared criminal cases against themselves. In the previous election of 2015, the figure was 58%. Moreover, 123 (51%) winning candidates have declared serious criminal cases including cases related to murder, attempt to murder, kidnapping, crimes against women etc. The 2015 figure for this category was 40 percent.
Read the full analysis report here: https://adrindia.org/content/bihar-assembly-election-2020-analysis-criminal-background-financial-education-gender-and
Among other findings of the analysis:
• 19 winning candidates have declared cases related to murder (IPC Section 302) against themselves
• 31 winning candidates have declared cases of attempt to murder (IPC Section 307)
• 8 winning candidates have declared cases related to crimes against women
• Among the major parties, 54 (73%) out of 74 winners from RJD, 47 (64%) of the BJP’s 73 winners, 20 (47%) out of 43 winning candidates from JD(U), 16 (84%) out of 19 winning candidates from the Congress, 10 (83%) out of 12 winning candidates from CPI(ML)(L) and 5 (100%) out of 5 winning candidates from AIMIM have declared criminal cases against themselves in their affidavits.
• Among the major parties, 44 (60%) of the RJD winners, 35 (48%) of the BJP winners, 11 (26%) of JD(U), 11 (58%) of the Congress, 8 (67%) of CPI(ML)(L) and 5 of AIMIM winning candidates have declared serious criminal cases against themselves in their affidavits.
• 194 (81%) are crorepatis. The figure in 2015 was 162 (67%).
• Among the major parties, 65 from BJP, 64 from RJD, 38 from JD(U) and 14 from the Congress winning candidates have declared assets worth more than Rs. 1 crore.
• The average of assets per winning candidates is Rs 4.32 crore – up from Rs 3.02 crore in 2015.
• The winner with highest assets is Anant Kumar Singh of RJD (total assets Rs 68.56 crore)
• The winner with the lowest asset is Ramvriksh Sada Khagaria of RJD (Rs 70,000)
Other background details
• Education: 82 (34%) winning candidates have declared their educational qualification to be between 5th pass and 12th pass, while 149 (62%) winning candidates have declared having an educational qualification of graduate and above.
• Age: 115 (48%) winning candidates have declared their age to be between 25 and 50 years while 126 (52%) winning candidates have declared their age to be between 51 and 80 years.
• Gender: Out of 241 winning candidates analysed, 26 (11%) winning candidates are women. In 2015, out of 243 MLAs, 28 (12%) MLAs were women.
With the advent of globalization came a new set of challenges for corporations, notably the duty of ensuring the well-being of all stakeholders while also protecting the planet`s natural environment. Although we are dedicated to a faster and more inclusive rate of growth, it is equally imperative that we f
BMC commissioner and administrator Iqbal Singh Chahal has been conferred with a Honorary Doctor of Science Degree (honoris causa) by Guru Nanak Dev University in Amritsar, Punjab. Chahal was conferred the degree during the 48th convocation of the University in Amritsar at the hands of Punjab
Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) aims to use a two-track approach on environmental social and corporate governance (ESG). Addressing a conference on ‘ESG for Atmanirbhar Bharat` in Mumbai, Sebi chairperson Madhabi Puri Buch said that that there should not be a single carbo
Presenting authentic information is the prime responsibility of media and that facts should be properly checked before they are put in the public domain, union minister of information and broadcasting Anurag Thakur has said. “While speed with which the information is transmitted is imp
Union minister for finance and corporate affairs Nirmala Sitharaman has concluded the pre-budget consultation meetings for Budget 2023-24 that were held from November 21 to 28 in the virtual mode. More than 110 invitees representing seven stakeholder groups participated in eight meetings sch
The total coal production in the country stands at 448 million tonnes (MT) for the month of October 2022 which is 18% higher than the production of the corresponding period of last year. The growth of coal production from Coal India Ltd (CIL) is also more than 17%. The ministry of coal said