A full recovery from the impact of the global economic slowdown indicated
PTI | February 25, 2010
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Thursday tabled the Economic Survey 2009-10 that projects a growth of up to 8.75 percent in 2010-11 and indicates a full recovery from the impact of the global economic slowdown.
Highlights of the survey:
* Economy likely to grow by up to 8.75 per cent in 2010-11
* Full recovery; return to 9 per cent growth in 2011-12
* Broad recovery gives scope for gradual stimulus roll back
* High double-digit food inflation in 2009-10 major concern
* Signs of food inflation spreading to other sectors
* Farm & allied sector production falls 0.2% in 2009-10
* Need serious policy initiatives for 4% agriculture growth
* Moots direct food subsidy via food coupons to households
* Favours making available food in open mkt
* Favours monthly ration coupons usable anywhere for poor
* Gross fiscal deficit pegged at 6.5 pc of GDP in 2009-10
* India 10th largest gold holding nation at 557.7 tonnes
* Exports in April-December 2009 down 20.3 per cent
* Imports in April-December 2009 down 23.6 per cent
* Trade gap narrowed to USD 76.24 bn in April-December.
* 32.5% savings & 34.9% investment (of GDP in 2008-09) put India in league of world's fastest growing nations.
* Govt initiates steps to boost private investment in agri * Wants credit available at reasonable rates on time for private sector to invest in agriculture
* Slowdown in infrastructure that began in 2007, arrested
* Domestic oil production to rise 11 per cent in 2009-10
* Gas output up 52.8 per cent to 50.2 billion cubic meters with RIL starting production
* India world's 2nd largest wireless network with 525.1 million mobile users
* Virtually every second Indian has access to phone
* Auction for 3G spectrum to provide existing and foreign players to bring in new technology and innovations.
Basking in the success of the new web series, ‘Scam 1992: The Harshad Mehta Story ’,on SonyLIV, the OTT platform from Sony stable where the lead actors are new faces, NP Singh, MD and CEO of Sony Pictures Networks, has said that the script is the new hero. He credited the s
India’s trend of steadily decreasing active cases continues unabated. The number of Active Cases has remained below 10% of the total cases for the last three days, suggesting only one in 10 cases is active Covid-19 patient. The active cases comprise merely 9.29% of the total positive c
The union cabinet chaired by prime minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday gave its approval to pay productivity linked bonus (PLB) for 2019-20 to 16.97 lakh non-gazetted employees of commercial establishments like Railways, Posts, Defence, EPFO, and ESIC, with a financial implication of Rs.2,791 crore.
India has leaped across several significant milestones in its fight against Covid-19. The new confirmed cases in the 24 hours to Tuesday morning have fallen below 50,000 (46,790, to be precise) for the first time in nearly three months. The last time the number of new cases was close to this level was on J
Legendary film star and politician Shatrughan Sinha has said that friendship in Bollywood is limited to onscreen, and there is no unity and some news channels are taking advantage of this situation. “Groups within the industry or their supporters may sometimes come together for some c
In India, only 2.40 million out of an estimated 2.64 million cases of tuberculosis were reported to the government, that is, 2,40,000 TB patients went unreported, in 2019, according to the WHO Global Tuberculosis Report 2020. The reporting of TB cases, however, has significantly increased ov