With Cabinet’s approval of merger of PSBs, SBI may soon feature in the top 50 banks globally
| June 16, 2016
As the Cabinet approves the merger of State Bank of India and its five subsidiaries, and also the Bharatiya Mahila Bank (BMB), the largest public sector lender may soon see its name in the list of top 50 banks of the world. The five subsidiaries to be merged with SBI are: State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur, State Bank of Hyderabad, State Bank of Mysore, State Bank of Patiala and State Bank of Travancore.
Here’s a look at the enormity of the consolidation:
• With the merger, SBI would have a balance sheet reading a whooping Rs 37 lakh crore.
• Its customer base would increase to around 50 crore – more than one-third of the country’s population
• The bank may break the barrier of top-50 banks in the world. It was last seen at the 52nd spot in 2015.
• The combined employee strength of SBI and its associates, along with BMB, is around 3 lakh.
• The combined number of branches of banks, stepping into the merger, stand at nearly 21,000.
When her husband died last year, 60-year-old Chakkamma was not sure whether she would be able to have some money of her own: she has a son who looks after her, but she wanted to maintain a degree of independence. Opportunity came knocking when the Tamil Nadu government, as part of its Pudhu Vaazhvu (or new
Should Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad be arrested for assaulting an Air India employee?
The Railways was unable to meet its operational cost of passenger and other coaching services. During 2014-15, there was a loss of Rs 33,821.70 crore on passenger and other coaching services. The freight services earned a profit of Rs 38,312.59 crore which indicated that 88.28 percent
Seasoned BJP parliamentarian Nand Kumar Sai, who took charge as the chairperson of the National Commission for Scheduled Tribes (NCST) on February 28, has his work cut out for him. Archana Mishra caught up with Sai, 71, on his first day in office where he
Should there be automatic termination as member of parliament if that person takes oath as minister/chief minister in a state?
When the truth was a few steps away from Modi’s gaze In November 2014, prime minister Narendra Modi made his first visit to his constituency Varanasi and launched a massive cleanliness drive at Asi ghat, which was covered in mud and silt. When locals sa