All eyes on the fist big indicator of 'achchhe din'
GN Bureau | July 10, 2014
Finance minister Arun Jaitley this morning started presenting the NDA government’s first union budget. Here are the highlights from his budget speech:
* Emphasizes on fiscal prudence, need to generate more resources
* Assures to usher in policy regime that will lead to higher growth and low inflation
* Emphasizes on creating a vibrant India
* Says more anti-poverty programmes needed
* Stresses on reviving growth in manufacturing sector, infrastructure
* Says target of 4.1 per cent fiscal deficit is daunting but looks forward to it as a challenge
* FM blames the UPA government for slow decision-making, leading to loss of opportunity
* Says two years of below-5% growth has led to challenges to the economy
* Still, he has hope from the green shoots of recovery seen in global economy
* Looks forward to reining in inflation
* Aims to achieve 7-8 per cent economic growth rate in the next 3-4 years
When her husband died last year, 60-year-old Chakkamma was not sure whether she would be able to have some money of her own: she has a son who looks after her, but she wanted to maintain a degree of independence. Opportunity came knocking when the Tamil Nadu government, as part of its Pudhu Vaazhvu (or new
Should Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad be arrested for assaulting an Air India employee?
The Railways was unable to meet its operational cost of passenger and other coaching services. During 2014-15, there was a loss of Rs 33,821.70 crore on passenger and other coaching services. The freight services earned a profit of Rs 38,312.59 crore which indicated that 88.28 percent
Seasoned BJP parliamentarian Nand Kumar Sai, who took charge as the chairperson of the National Commission for Scheduled Tribes (NCST) on February 28, has his work cut out for him. Archana Mishra caught up with Sai, 71, on his first day in office where he
Should there be automatic termination as member of parliament if that person takes oath as minister/chief minister in a state?
When the truth was a few steps away from Modi’s gaze In November 2014, prime minister Narendra Modi made his first visit to his constituency Varanasi and launched a massive cleanliness drive at Asi ghat, which was covered in mud and silt. When locals sa