Average 4.9% growth in summer: Power & NRE minister R. K.Singh
GN Bureau | March 23, 2023
While the average growth of energy requirement in the country for 2023-24 viz-a-viz 2022-23 has been estimated as 4.9%, the months of April and May have been projected as high demand period. During the current year, the peak demand is expected to be around 229 GW during the summer period. The government has taken a series of steps to meet the increased demand for power, union minister of power R. K. Singh told Lok Sabha on Thursday.
Measures have been taken to ensure the availability of the generation capacity. The generators have been directed to complete the maintenance work of their plants well before the period of high demand. No planned maintenance will be taken during the high demand period (April & May 2023).
(1) Monitoring and coordination with the ministries of coal and railways, on a regular basis, for increase in the production and dispatch of coal as much as possible.
(2) All Power Generators have been asked for timely import of required coal for blending purposes so that adequate coal stock is maintained in the plant.
(3) All captive coal blocks have been asked to maximize the coal production to supplement the coal supply from domestic coal companies (CIL and SCCL).
(4) Additional arrangement for gas for running gas based stations has been planned from GAIL, during high power demand months.
(5) Imported coal based (ICB) plants have been issued statutory directions to stock coal and generate power during high demand period.
Also read: Multi-pronged strategy crafted to ensure power supply during summer
Air pollution in Delhi has been in headlines, as every year in recent times. Mumbai too has suffered from air pollution, despite being a coastal city. Apart from many other metros such as Bangalore and Kolkata, tier-I and -II cities and rural areas also have high pollution levels. Every year reports and st
The central government will provide free food grains to about 81.35 crore beneficiaries under the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PMGKAY) for a period of five years with effect from January 1, 2024, the cabinet decided on Wednesday. Terming it as a “historic decision”, a
Survival at Stake: How Our Treatment of Animals Is Key to Human Existence By Poorva Joshipura HarperCollins, 328 pages, Rs 499 With science now recognising animal consciousness, intelligence, emotion, and even morality, there must rise an awareness of
India`s tryst with trade through the Arctic regions, including the Northern Sea Routes (NSR), has become an impact-making endeavor recently. The Arctic of yore is now a pivot – point of geopolitics, of climate change discussions, and for economic opportunities; 40% of oil and gas reserves said to be
Investing Decoded: Simple Path To Building A Portfolio In Millions By Anirudh Rathore Penguin India, 320 pages, Rs 499
Deepfake has emerged as a serious threat to democracy and social institutions across the world. Propagation of deepfake content via social media platforms has aggravated this challenge. Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has, from time to time, advised social media in