Here are the framework and objective of the new NITI Aayog you must know.
Narendra Modi government replaced the 64-year-old 'one-size-fits-all'planning commission with a new National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) to foster strategic developmental process in the country. Here are the framework and objective of the new NITI Aayog you must know.
- The NITI will act like a 'Think Tank' of the government and provide strategic and technical advice to government at the central and state levels.
- NITI governing council will include chief ministers and lieutenant governors of states and union territories apart from experts, specialists and practitioners as special invitees.
- Prime minister will be the chairperson the NITI Aayog and one vice chairperson appointed by the PM. Apart from that there will be full-time and part-time members (maximum of 2), ex-officio members (maximum of 4) and chief executive officer.
- It aims to develop mechanism to formulate credible plans at the village level and aggregate these progressively at higher levels of the government.
- The planning commission era was of ‘centre-to-state one-way flow of policy', while NITI is set to provide bigger role to the states.
- NITI Aayog will create a knowledge, innovation and entrepreneurial support system through a collaborative community of national and international experts, practitioners and partners.
- NITI Aayog will monitor and evaluate the implementation of programmes, focus on technology upgradation and in capacity building.
- NITI Aayog will create a knowledge, innovation and entrepreneurial support system through a collaborative community of national and international experts, practitioners and partners. It will offer a platform for resolution of inter-sectoral and inter-departmental issues in order to accelerate the implementation of the development agenda.
- NITI Aayog will offer policy support to more than 50 million small businesses in India, which are a major source of employment creation.
- The new aayog will leverage India's demographic dividend, and enable realisation of the potential of youth through education and skill development.
- It will ensure that the economically vibrant middle-class remains engaged, and its potential is fully realized.
- NITI Aayog will leverage India's pool of entrepreneurial, scientific and intellectual human capital.
- It will use technology to reduce opacity and potential for misadventures in governance.
ALSO READ: New year sees birth of NITI Aayog