A record 1,203 candidates are fighting for 140 seats
GN Bureau | May 16, 2016
Election is being held in a single phase in Kerala. Here is a quick fact sheet:
• Polling will be held in 140 constituencies. Out of these, 14 are reserved for the scheduled castes while two are reserved for the scheduled tribes
• A record 1,203 number of candidates are contesting in the polls. Of these, 109 are women
• An electorate of about 2.56 crore is eligible to exercise its franchise at 21,498 polling stations in the state
• The main competition is likely to be seen among Congress-led United Democratic Front (UDF), and the CPI(M)-led Left Democratic Front (LDF). The BJP too is in the fray.
• In the last assembly elections, UDF had won 72 seats while LDF won the remaining 68 seats. The NDA did not win any seat in the last elections
• The counting of votes will take place on May 19
Yield gaps in wheat production in India can be countered with an earlier sowing date, says a University of Michigan researcher. Using a new way to measure wheat yields, Meha Jain, assistant professor at the U-M School for Environment and Sustainability, found that the wheat yie
Kharpariya village, about 50 km from the headquarters town of Madhya Pradesh’s Mandla district, is like many villages in the region, home to the Baiga, deemed a particularly vulnerable tribal group (PVTG) for whom permanent contraception methods are banned to prevent extinction. However, care for p
Somabhai Modi says he remembers only one occasion when he offered his younger brother prime minister Narendra Modi advice regarding work. This, he says, was when Modi was chief minister of Gujarat. After one of his weekly grievance redressal sessions, the then chief minister had enquired after the well-b
Should ration cards not linked to Aadhaar be rendered ineligible?
INS Kiltan, the third anti-submarine warfare (ASW) stealth corvette built under project 28 (Kamorta class), was commissioned into the Indian Navy by defence minister Nirmala Sitharaman at the naval dockyard in Visakhapatnam. The anti-submarine warfare stealth corvet
Maharatna enterprise, Steel Authority of India Ltd. (SAIL) has supplied defence grade micro-alloyed grade of steel (DMR 249A) steel plates for the indigenously built anti-submarine warfare (ASW) stealth corvette INS-Kiltan commissioned into Indian Navy. SAIL’s integ