Government agrees to set up a committee to discuss demands
Jasleen Kaur | January 7, 2015 | New Delhi
After six hours of marathon discussion with the government the representatives of the five major trade unions, which had shut down production at all coalfields of Coal India Limited (CIL) for five days, agreed to call off the strike on Wednesday. The trade unions reached an agreement after a long meeting with coal minister Piyush Goyal on Wednesday evening.
ALSO READ: Coal workers strike may hit power plants
Speaking with Governance Now, Jibon Roy, general secretary of All India Coal Workers Federation (AICWF), said that the strike has been withdrawn as the government has agreed to form a committee to discuss the coal block ordinance. He said, "the committee will consists of representatives of five trade unions and join secretary to discuss the ordinance. Though AICWF has not agreed with this but we will also call off the strike. We will just hold demonstrations on Thursday."
The unions had earlier boycotted a meeting called by Goyal on Saturday. They were opposing the government's coal block ordinance which may allow private companies to mine and sell coal commercially.
The two-day long strike started just a day after the newly appointed chairman and managing director Sutirtha Bhattacharya took charge. The post of the CMD was vacant for over five months.
The strikers, including permanent and contractual coal workers, were protesting against the government's plan to disinvest and they were demanding the roll-back of process of denationalisation of coal sector.
Even the BJP-backed Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh was participating in the strike along with other unions like INTUC, AITUC, CITU and HMS.
Roy had said that the government was exploiting the supreme court verdict on on denationalisation of coal industry and demanded that whichever mines were allotted illegally should be given back to CIL.
Probing data concerning increased job creation and the decline in unemployment has been holding the attention of economists and been subject of discussions in several think tanks in the preceding months. The NITI Aayog reports that 3.53 million new jobs were created between September 2017 and February 2018
With Lockdown 4 ending Sunday, the home ministry has issued new guidelines to fight COVID-19 and for phased re-opening of areas outside the Containment Zones. The guidelines, issued based on extensive consultations held with states and UTs, will be effective from June 1 till June 30. The first phase of reo
When the whole world is fighting COVID-19, food and nutrition security has become a major issue. The pandemic has aggravated the existing food crisis in India, especially in rural and tribal regions. There has been less availability of fresh foods in most parts of the country, and the tribal community has
India is determined to “set an example” for the rest of the word in the post-pandemic economic revival, prime minister Narendra Modi has said, underling the need to become self-reliant. “There is also a widespread debate on how the economies of various countries, including
Close to 48 lakh migrant labourers have been able to reach home from the cities they were working in, as the Indian Railways have run a total of 3,543 “Sharmik Special” trains from May 1. Following the home ministry order regarding the movement by special trains of migrant worker
Before the novel coronavirus hit it, Mumbai about 10-12 lakh labourers from elsewhere had made it their home. The figure for the state of Maharashtra was another 18-20 lakh. As the pandemic spread and the Maximum City emerged as the worst-hit place in India, all economic activities came to an end, and with