Delhites to walk against power tariff hikes

To conduct walkathon across the capital

danish

Danish Raza | November 3, 2011



Burdened by increasing tariff hikes in electricity bills, Delhi residents have decided to take things in their own hands. United Residents Joint Action (URJA), a conglomeration of resident welfare associations (RWAs), launched a walkathon on Thursday to protest against increasing tariff hike.

URJA members will conduct walks across 70 constituencies and will meet the RWA constituents and MLAs of each constituency with their set of demands.

“We have just two basic demands. Get the accounts of the power distribution companies audited by the comptroller and auditor general (CAG) and bring these companies under the ambit of the right to information (RTI) act. Currently, the companies are not accountable to anybody. Whenever the discoms tell the government that they are facing losses and need to increase tariff, the government keeps mum and gives them a free hand,” said Sanjay Kaul, chairperson, URJA.

On first day of the campaign, URJA members were detained for around 30 minutes when they were on their way from Jantar Mantar to the residence of V K Malhotra, leader of the opposition in Delhi assembly. 

Malhotra, a BJP leader said that the campaign had dull support of his party.

Members of the association also met the MLAs of three legislative constituencies- Rajendra Nagar, Karol Bagh and Patel Nagar.

Last month, Delhi chief minister Sheila Dikshit said that the recent tariff increase of 22 percent granted to the three discoms- BSES Radhani, BSES Yamuna and NDPL was not enough and the companies might to for another round of hike.

The chief minister justified the hike by saying that the cost of power on Delhi was still much lower as compared to other states.

Commenting about the same Kaul said, “Last year, when the Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission (DERC) indicated that it would reduce power tariff by 20 percent the Delhi government used section 108 of the electricity act to block the order. This year when the commission has increased the tariffs by 22 percent why does not the government use the same section to stop the tariff order until the CAG finishes its audit?”

Comments

 

Other News

Provisional answer key for civil (prelim) to be released soon after exams

For the first time, the Union Public Service Commission will release the Provisional Answer Key for the Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination 2026, soon after the exam, to enhance transparency and uphold the highest standards of conduct of examination.   Terming it as “a

Thinking about thinking: How the mind (or AI) works

Tom Griffiths is one of those scientists working at the cutting edge of cognitive science and AI. He is a professor of psychology and computer science at Princeton University, and directs the Computational Cognitive Science Lab and the Princeton Laboratory for AI. His first book for general readership &lsq

`M`rashtra muni. corpns face major governance, citizen participation gaps`

A statewide consultation organised by Praja Foundation has highlighted major governance, financial, and citizen participation gaps across Maharashtra’s Municipal Corporations, calling for urgent reforms to strengthen urban local bodies in line with the 74th Constitutional Amendment Act. &nb

When children stay healthy, they stay in school

Learning Begins with Wellbeing The future of education is often discussed through the lens of classrooms, technology, and learning outcomes. Yet one of the most critical drivers of a child’s ability to learn remains surprisingly overlooked: their health.  

India lost Rs 52,000 crore to cyber fraud in five years: DoT

India has lost more than Rs 52,000 crore to cyber fraud over the last five years, officials have revealed. Out of approximately 60 lakh cyber fraud complaints received, more  than 3,000 cases have been resolved and six cyber fraud setups have been busted.   On the occ

India must not wait for its own Ella

In many Indian cities, children learn to wear masks before they are old enough to understand why. That reality should alarm us far more than it does.   In 2020, nine-year-old Ella Adoo Kissi Debrah became the first person in the world to have air pollution officially recognized a


Archives

Current Issue

Opinion

Facebook Twitter Google Plus Linkedin Subscribe Newsletter

Twitter