Dirty toilets in schools force children to urinate outside: survey

Delhi schools have infrastructural flaws like blocked sewerage, broken doors of toilet

jasleen

Jasleen Kaur | March 30, 2012




Even after two years of the right to education (RTE) being enacted, schools in Delhi lack the basic sanitation — a key provision of the universalisation of education law. Child Rights and You (CRY) conducted a survey of 318 toilets in 44 government and municipal corporation schools to find out about the sanitation and hygiene arrangements. It was found that 37 per cent of schools did not have clean toilets, and thus, boys urinated in the open, while the girls had no place to go. Schools in the northwest, northeast and outer districts of Delhi faced acute problems because of the lack of proper facilities.

As per the government rankings of states in school education released by union HRD minister Kapil Sibal in February last year, Delhi’s ranking has dropped from sixth to eighth in primary education and from seventh to eighth in upper primary education.

The rankings, calculated for each state by National University for Educational Planning and Administration (NUEPA), are based on the states’ performance in the teacher availability, teacher-pupil ratio, amenities and facilities, student enrolment and retention criteria.

The CRY report also shows that only 39 per cent of these schools had their toilets cleaned regularly, while the remaining 61 per cent had them cleaned only twice or thrice a month. Most schools, however, have permanent staff for the same. 15 percent of the total toilets were reserved for the school staff, prohibiting use by children. The staff toilets were in a better condition than those for children.

Also, the report says that 21 per cent schools had major infrastructural flaws like blocked sewer lines, broken toilet doors. Many schools in southwest district did not have buckets and mugs in their toilets.  24 per cent school toilets did not have water supply, while of the remaining 76 per cent toilets, 18 per cent had supply of contaminated or dirty water.

In Delhi, pre-primary and primary education comes under the municipal corporation of Delhi (MCD), the New Delhi municipal council (NDMC) and the Delhi Cantonment Board (DCB). The directorate of education under Delhi government has just recently introduced primary classes in some existing secondary schools.

Comments

 

Other News

Evaluating public-private partnership, the right way

Public-Private Partnerships (PPP) projects are always under scrutiny, given the options of alternative of traditional procurement for the government. The value-for-money debate is one of the essential parameters to judge any PPP. In the absence of any credible data on this regard, it is very difficult to e

Electoral bonds emerge as preferred mode of political donation

Electoral bonds, introduced in January 2018 to bring in transparency in political funding, has emerged as the preferred route for making donations to parties, according to an analysis of the parties’ audit reports by the Association of Democratic Reforms (ADR). “Given the anonymi

On Met Dept’s foundation day: let’s talk weather

With a humble beginning in 1875, the India Meteorological Department (IMD) – which is celebrating its 145thFoundation Day on January 15 – has marched forward with various milestones and paradigms to serve the society. When weather and climate are playing more and more role in our daily lives, h

You have to sometimes find your adversary No. 1: Prithviraj Chavan

Prithviraj Chavan, a senior Congress leader and former Maharashtra chief minister, is the key architect of the ruling Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) alliance that came to power after the three-day government of the BJP, supported by Ajit Pawar of NCP, fell apart just before the supreme court ordered an open b

Connecting the dots: Environmentalism, development and health

Every winter Delhi experiences some of the worst air pollution levels in the world. Concentrations of particulate matter – PM10 and PM2.5 – regularly hover around values of 400 to 500, levels that are considered extremely hazardous by both Indian and international air quality standards. Doctors

Stimulate demand to revive economy: Abhijit Banerjee

Nobel laureate economist Abhijit Banerjee has sounded an alarm on the economic crisis and compared the present situation to the 1991 economic crisis, stressing that to revive the economy it is important to stimulate demand. Like elsewhere in the world, the level of trust in experts and the e



Archives

Current Issue

Video

CM Nitish’s convoy attacked in Buxar

Opinion

Facebook    Twitter    Google Plus    Linkedin    Subscribe Newsletter

Twitter