India’s fastest prototype Train 18 not fully made in India

Train 18, which is hailed as a Make in India project, uses foreign-made components like aircraft-like seats and sliding doors

vishwas

Vishwas Dass | December 7, 2018 | Delhi


#Integral Coach Factory   #Indian Railways   #Make in India   #Train 18   #fastest train  
Photo: Twitter/ManiSudhanshu58
Photo: Twitter/ManiSudhanshu58

The much talked-about Train 18 of the Indian Railways, which recently breached 180 kmph speed limit in the trials, has 20 percent of its components being imported from foreign countries.

Although the train is seen as the finest example of technical prowess of the Indian Railways’ coaching factory, not all of its components are made in India.
 
Train 18 is a semi-high speed trainset, which includes a group of coupled coaches that are individually powered by a propulsion system. In other words it is a locomotive-less train.
 
The first Train 18 prototype was recently rolled out by the Integral Coach Factory, Chennai of Indian Railways. It is going through multiple tests to assess technical parametres and fix them before it is finally commissioned by the railways in January next year.
 
ICF general manager Sudhanshu Mani told Governance Now that 80 percent of the equipment and components of Train 18 were made in India but remaining 20 percent such as aircraft-like seats were brought from Spain and China. Sliding doors and plug doors were also imported from Germany and Czech Republic, he said.
 
“To my surprise, no one makes aircraft-like seats in India but from third rake onwards we will try to make it in India or will have collaboration with someone,” he said.
 
Mani said that a part of the pantry equipment was also imported for four coaches, and the remaining would be made under collaboration in India. The vacuum toilets were imported for the first prototype Train 18 but for the next rakes it would be made indigenous, he added. The second rake of Train 18 would be rolled out in February 2019, he said.
 
The general manager of India’s biggest coach factory said that Train 18 was conceived, designed, engineered, built and tested by the ICF.
 
Railway Board Chairman Ashwani Lohani had flagged off the Train 18 prototype on October 29 in Chennai and praised the manufacturing unit for coming up with so many sophisticated features, a conventional train has never seen in the past.
 
The 16 coaches-long Train 19 will have the same passenger carrying capacity as that of the Shatabdi Express. Train 18 possesses aerodynamically designed driver cabins at both ends for quicker turn-around at destinations and it sports an advanced regenerative braking system to save electricity.
 
The fully air-conditioned train offers better passenger comfort and safety, as all equipment are fixed under the carriage, so that more space is available on board, officials said.
 

Comments

 

Other News

Taming turbulence in Indian aviation

The booming Indian aviation industry, among the fastest growing sectors in the world, is projected to be valued at $40 billion by 2027. But, despite robust demand for air travel across the country, more than 50 airlines have closed down in the last decade in India and most private airlines have closed with

PM Modi leaves for G7 Summit in Italy

In his first foreign visit after taking oath of office for the third time, prime minister Narendra Modi Thursday evening left for Italy to participate in the G7 Outreach Summit. “At the invitation of Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, I am travelling to Apulia region in Italy to participat

Some market talk, some gossip – learnings over tea at RBI

A Fly on the RBI Wall: An Insider’s View of the Central Bank By Alpana Killawala Rupa Publications, 248 pages, Rs 595  

Coalition politics not expected to impact India’s foreign policy

Prime minister Narendra Modi has strived incessantly to bring laurels and much needed recognition for the nation since May 2014 when he was sworn in as the head of state. The poser which can be deliberated upon is this: What will be the consequential impact of the new era of coalition politics which confro

New govt`s first decision pushes for farmer welfare

The BJP-led NDA government has started its term with its first decision relating to farmer welfare. Narendra Modi took charge of office as prime minister of India for the third time on Monday, a day after he and his colleagues were sworn in by the president of India. In his fi

Narendra Modi takes oath for third term

Narendra Modi made history Sunday evening as he was sworn in by president Droupadi Murmu for a third successive term. Modi thus becomes the first prime minister since Jawaharlal Nehru to have comptered two full terms and beginning a third consecutive term. In the swearing-in c

Visionary Talk: Amitabh Gupta, Pune Police Commissioner with Kailashnath Adhikari, MD, Governance Now


Archives

Current Issue

Opinion

Facebook Twitter Google Plus Linkedin Subscribe Newsletter

Twitter