If this is the best attempt to clear air, it has only strengthened conspiracy theories
GN Bureau | November 30, 2016
Prime minister Narendra Modi has asked all MPs and MLAs of his party to come clean, and declare their bank transaction details to the party chief. Somewhat like demonetisation itself, it is pointless – and potentially equally appealing to gullible voters.
More importantly, if this is the best Modi could come up with to clear the air after allegations of foul play, then allegations will only gain further ground. Here’s why:
* It’s not clear why the BJP lawmakers are supposed to make their declarations before the party head, rather than to the tax authorities.
* Shouldn’t they declare transactions of the time before November 8, rather than after the date?
* In any case, there’s no need to make any declarations of the bank transactions after November 8, if the tax authorities are keeping an eye on high-value deposits.
* And what about the party itself? The BJP too would have cash on hand – in white, genuine, tax-free, derived from donations. [Sitaram Yechury, participating in a debate in the Rajya Sabha, spoke of mammoth cash deposits by the Kolkata unit of BJP in a local bank branch, and he also gave bank details. The prime minister’s move does not respond to specific allegations like this.] It would make sense if the party declares its transactions pre- and post-demonetisation. While at it, it can make a good beginning by revealing sources of donations below Rs 20,000 – a cut-off that has potentially diverted a lot of unaccounted money to various political parties.
* Meanwhile, other political parties criticising the PM’s move should set a precedent by declaring their own transactions, pre- and post-demonetisation.
Prime minister Narendra Modi underlined the need for a consensus among the nation to realise the dream of a beautiful shared future, as he addressed the plenary session of the World Economic Forum (WEF) in Davos on Tuesday. After introductory remarks by the Forum`s founder and executive chai
REC Transmission Projects Company Ltd (RECTPCL), a subsidiary of Rural Electrification Corporation Ltd (REC), has handed over project specific special purpose vehicle (SPV) namely ERSS XXI Transmission Ltd to Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd (PGCIL). Competing alongside with the private p
Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML), a ministry of defence PSU, has launched a 5.4 ton wheel loader BL30-1 at Excon Exhibition 2017 in Bangalore. The high performance and rugged wheel loader is designed and developed by BEML. BL30-1 Frontend Wheel Loader is designed for maximum
The supreme court should be subjected to constant scrutiny so that it improves, Justice Jasti Chelameswar said at a book release function on Monday. This was his first public appearance in Delhi after a January 12 press conference at which he and three fellow judges had spoken up about their differences wi
Much before Communist Party of India (Marxist) general secretary Sitaram Yechury got marginalised within the party’s central committee last week over the possibility of an alliance with the Congress, is learnt to have had an interesting conversation with Arun Jaitley, his fellow student-politician ba
Pandit Chhannulal Mishra is a noted exponent of Banaras and Kairana gharanas. Born in Hariharpur of Azamgarh district, he learnt musical notes from various gurus and thus his music is an amalgamation of various forms and gharanas. His classical folk music has been mesmerising music lovers across the wo