Govt may lower disinvestment targets for current fiscal

Government cautious as market mayhem plays out over global uncertainty

PTI | August 8, 2011



The government today indicated it may lower the Rs 40,000 crore disinvestment target for the current fiscal in view of the recent bloodbath in the stock markets on account of global uncertainty.

"It is difficult to say, if the the current target will remain intact or revised," Disinvestment Secretary Mohammed Haleem Khan told reporters here when asked if the government is contemplating to lower the disinvestment target for the current fiscal.

As against the ambitious target of raising Rs 40,000 crore from sale of shares of the state-owned enterprises, the Government has so far raised a little over Rs 1,144 crore by offloading stake in the Power Finance Corporation.

Following the downgrade of sovereign credit rating of the US to AA+ from AAA by Standard and Poor's, the BSE Sensex plunged to below 17,000 mark during the intra-day trade before reducing losses.

"There are a few companies in the pipeline for disinvestment, but it is difficult to say when. We have a set of professional advisors to advise us on disinvestment," Khan said, adding the government is monitoring the situation.

A senior official in the Disinvestment Department had earlier said that the government hopes to raise a little over Rs 15,000 crore through share sale of PFC, SAIL, ONGC and HCL. PFC follow-on offer hit the market in May.

RINL, MMTC and NBCC was also on the government's radar for disinvestment but the current financial turmoil may prompt the government to postpone equity sale.
 

Comments

 

Other News

Why India’s health budget and lung cancer guidelines must do more

India’s Union Health Budget 2026-27 and the release of the country’s first evidence based lung cancer guidelines have sparked important conversations about whether our health system is keeping pace with global standards. These announcements are not just policy milestones – they are litmus

“India AI Impact Expo a powerful convergence of ideas, innovation & intent”

Prime minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday hailed the India AI Impact Expo 2026 as a powerful convergence of ideas, innovation, and intent. Sharing highlights of the event’s inauguration, he said the Expo, which got underway here on Monday, highlighted the extraordinary potential of Indian talent in sha

BMC polls: 24% winners have declared criminal cases against themselves

As many as 54 (or 24%) out of the 227 winning candidates of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) elections have declared criminal cases against themselves, according to an analysis by the Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR) and Maharashtra Election Watch.   As many as 29 (13

PM`s first decisions from Seva Teerth reflect spirit of Seva

In his very first set of decisions after shifting to Seva Teerth, the new address of the PMO, PM Narendra Modi signed important files relating to decisions that reflect the spirit of Seva. These decisions touch every section of society: farmers, women, youth, and vulnerable citizens. 1.

AI@Work: Driving productivity, jobs, and innovation

Key Takeaways     India ranks 3rd in Stanford University`s 2025 Global AI Vibrancy Ranking.     Data infrastructure, entrepreneurship and demography are key enablers for AI adoption.     In India the relative penetration of AI skills was 2.5 ti

Urban Blind Spot: Animals, governance, and the cost of ignoring coexistence

India’s cities are expanding at an unprecedented pace, absorbing people, infrastructure, and economic activity at scale. What urban governance frameworks have been slower to absorb is a reality already playing out on the ground: animals are an inseparable part of urban life. From community dogs and p


Archives

Current Issue

Opinion

Facebook Twitter Google Plus Linkedin Subscribe Newsletter

Twitter