Islamabad high court judge orders release of LeT leader and terror mastermind
GN Bureau | March 13, 2015
India has reacted strongly and quickly to the developments in Pakistan. The Ministry of Home Affairs on Friday said the Pakistan government should take measures to ensure that Mumbai attack mastermind Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi does not come out of jail.
The Home Ministry said, "The overwhelming evidence against 2008 Mumbai attack mastermind Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi has not been presented properly before court by Pakistani agencies. It is the responsibility of the Pakistan government to take all legal measures to ensure that Lakhvi does not come out of jail,"
"Pakistan should realise there are no good terrorists or bad terrorists," the ministry said.
Justice Noorul Haq of Islamabad High Court accepted 55-year-old Lashkar-e-Toiba operations commander Lakhvi 's appeal filed against his third time detention orders and ordered his immediate release.
The court on December 29 suspended the detention order, but the Supreme Court on January 7 restored Lakhvi's detention. India and some other countries took strong exception to granting bail to Lakhvi, only a couple of days after the December 16 terrorist attack on Army Public School, Peshawar last year.
Lakhvi and six others - Abdul Wajid, Mazhar Iqbal, Hamad Amin Sadiq, Shahid Jameel Riaz, Jamil Ahmed and Younis Anjum - have been charged with planning and executing the Mumbai attacks in November, 2008 that left 166 people dead.
Lakhvi, believed to be a close relative of LeT founder and Jamat-Ud Dawa (JuD) chief Hafiz Saeed, was arrested in December 2008 and was indicted along with the six others on November 25, 2009 in connection with the 26/11 attack case.
The trial has been underway since 2009. He has been detained at Adiala jail. Indian has submitted voice samples and other evidence that reveal Lakhvi talking on satellite phones to the 10 terrorists who sailed into Mumbai and attacked city’s famous landmarks.
History could have repeated itself as a farce, but in the triple talaq case today, there has been no replay. A historic blunder has been undone, though it has taken three decades. The supreme court has once again taken a stance in favour of individual freedom and against fundamentalism &nda
The derailment of Puri-Haridwar Kalinga Utkal express at Khatauli has once again raised serious questions on the railways’ safety claims. At least 21 people were killed and many were injured. The derailments over a period of a few months are giving sleepless nights to the top railway.
The BJP as well as the Congress welcomed the supreme court judgment that bars instant triple talaq for a period of six months and also seeks a legislation on it. BJP chief Amit Shah said that he welcomes this on behalf of the party and added “it’s not about anyo
Five judges from five different faiths deliberated upon and decided that instant triple talaq is to be struck down for a period of six months and the government should bring a legislation over it. The supreme court bench was headed by chief justice of India J S Khehar, who
Rural Electrification Corporation Limited (REC) and Power Finance Corporation Limited (PFC) did not conduct appropriate due diligence during credit appraisal in power generation projects and in the process assumed higher risks on the loan accounts, noted the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) in a rep
Prime minister Narendra Modi described as “historic” the supreme court judgment that struck down triple talaq for a period of six months. “Judgment of the Hon`ble SC on Triple Talaq is historic. It grants equality to Muslim women and is a powerful measure