12 convicted after nine years of trauma suffered by Mumbaikars
GN Bureau | September 11, 2015
A special court in Mumbai today convicted 12 of the 13 accused for their role in the 2006 Mumbai train blasts that killed 188 people and injured more than 800. Special judge Yatin D Shinde of Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act, 1999 (MCOCA) court had concluded the trial on August 19 last year. The judge is likely to pronounce the sentence on Monay,
The 12 convicted are - Kamal Ahmed Mohammed Vakil Ansari, Mohammed Faisal Ataur Rahman Shaikh, Ehtesham Kutubuddin Sidduqui, Naveed Hussain Khan Rasheed Hussain Khan, Asif Khan, Dr Tanvir Ansari, Mohammed Majid Shafi, Shaikh Mohammed Ali Alam Shaikh, Mohammeed Ansari, , Muzammil Sheikh, Soheil Shaikh, Zameer Shaikh.
The verdict comes nine years after the blasts targeted the crowded suburban train services in 2006 during the evening peak hours. The bombs that went off in a span of just 11 minutes, were kept in pressure cookers and went off in north-bound locals on Western Railway. Bhayander, Borivali, Jogeshwari, Khar Road, Bandra, Mahim and Matunga Road were targeted. The blast occurred between Khar Road-Santacruz, Bandra-Khar Road, Jogeshwari-Mahim Junction, Mira Road-Bhayander, Matunga- Mahim Junction and Borivali.
In a trial that lasted for eight years, the prosecution examined 192 witnesses, including eight Indian Police Service (IPS) and five Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officers and 18 doctors. The defence lawyers examined 51 witnesses and one person was called as a court witness.
The deposition made by witnesses runs into around 5,500 pages.
Examination of witnesses resumed after two years since the supreme court had stayed the trial in 2008. Before the stay, the prosecution had already examined a police officer. The supreme court vacated the stay on April 23, 2010.
Struggling with rationing and prioritising available supplies amid the acute Covid-19 vaccine shortage, the BrihanMumbai municipal corporation (BMC) has floated a global tender for supply of 1 crore doses, even as it has announced a walk-in vaccination campaign next week for select categories of citizens.
Expressing regret that despite being the largest producer of vaccines in the world things have fallen apart in India, Ashok Seth, a Padma Bhushan awardee and chairman of Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, has said that the focus needs to be on percentage and not the number of population vaccinated.
In Maharashtra, the epicentre of India’s devastating second wave, several NGOs and civil society organisations have been at work to combat the pandemic – by spreading awareness about precautions, by helping the slum-dwellers book appointment for vaccine, by providing meals to the marginalised a
The cumulative number of Covid-19 vaccine doses administered in the country has crossed the landmark of 17 crore on Monday as the Phase 3 of the nationwide vaccination drive expands further. India is the fastest country to administer 17 crore Covid vaccine doses – China took 119 days and USA 115 days
India is battling the second wave of Covid-19 and infections are spreading into the interiors of the country, says Dr Anurag Bhadouria, National Spokesperson, Samajwadi Party. It is precipitated by the elections in five states, the Kumbh Mela in Haridwar and also panchayat elections in many states, he says
The CoWIN system, the overarching digital platform for citizens seeking appointment for the Covid-19 vaccine, is introducing a new four-digit security code” in the application from Saturday to minimise a peculiar error and subsequent inconvenience to citizens. “It has been notic