No lottery in Delhi nursery admissions

Chief minister pans lottery system for admission

jasleen

Jasleen Kaur | December 10, 2010



Delhi is mulling a move from the lottery system for admissions in schools at the nursery level. Chief minister Sheila Dikshit is learnt to have come out against the drawing of lots to admit children in schools at a meeting with education minister Arvinder Singh and heads of public school management associations on Thursday.

R C Jain, president of the Delhi State Public Schools Management Association said, "The chief minister said that the lottery system should not be there. And that the admissions should be based on the point system."

The admissions for 75 percent seats which will be under the general category could be based on the point system, like last year. The schools retain the right to decide the admission criteria themselves, most points would be alloted on categories such as neighbourhood, alumni siblings. Schools are allowed to fix a discretion quota for these seats too.

Of the remaining 25 percent of the seats, earmarked for students from economically weaker sections of the society, 20 percent will be filled based on a similar point sytem to that used for the general category seats and the rest five percent of the seats can be reserved for the children of the school staff.

The government has sought to remove confusion regarding the admission criteria caused by the right to education (RTE) guidelines released by the human resources development ministry. One of the guidelines barred schools from interviewing parents or students before admissions, making the procedure seem like a random draw of lots. Parents and schools alike had sought clarifications from the government, and Thursday's announcement brought much relief.

Sumi Vohra, who runs the admissionsnursery.com, a website to help parents, says, “Parents are really happy and relieved. Now they are certain about the type of ideology they were looking in schools.”

Earlier, the parents and the school authorities had earlier raised their voice against the lottery system.

The government had already announced that the admission process will start from January 1, 2011, and it will continue for three months before ending on 31st March.

The Delhi government will soon notify the schools on the final guidelines.

Comments

 

Other News

The rupee stumbles: Can India Inc. chip in?

Every time the Indian rupee weakens to a new record low, the conversation follows a familiar script. The RBI intervenes. Economists debate the current account deficit. The government appeals to citizens to cut consumption. And within a few news cycles, attention moves on, until the next record low arrives.

Provisional answer key for civil (prelim) to be released soon after exams

For the first time, the Union Public Service Commission will release the Provisional Answer Key for the Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination 2026, soon after the exam, to enhance transparency and uphold the highest standards of conduct of examination.   Terming it as “a

Thinking about thinking: How the mind (or AI) works

Tom Griffiths is one of those scientists working at the cutting edge of cognitive science and AI. He is a professor of psychology and computer science at Princeton University, and directs the Computational Cognitive Science Lab and the Princeton Laboratory for AI. His first book for general readership &lsq

`M`rashtra muni. corpns face major governance, citizen participation gaps`

A statewide consultation organised by Praja Foundation has highlighted major governance, financial, and citizen participation gaps across Maharashtra’s Municipal Corporations, calling for urgent reforms to strengthen urban local bodies in line with the 74th Constitutional Amendment Act. &nb

When children stay healthy, they stay in school

Learning Begins with Wellbeing The future of education is often discussed through the lens of classrooms, technology, and learning outcomes. Yet one of the most critical drivers of a child’s ability to learn remains surprisingly overlooked: their health.  

India lost Rs 52,000 crore to cyber fraud in five years: DoT

India has lost more than Rs 52,000 crore to cyber fraud over the last five years, officials have revealed. Out of approximately 60 lakh cyber fraud complaints received, more  than 3,000 cases have been resolved and six cyber fraud setups have been busted.   On the occ


Archives

Current Issue

Opinion

Facebook Twitter Google Plus Linkedin Subscribe Newsletter

Twitter