Railways sector has prepared an investment roadmap of Rs 8.8 lakh crore.
GN Bureau | March 18, 2016
Manoj Sinha, union minister of state for railways, said that as soon as the NDA government came into power, the focus shifted to decongesting and expanding the railway network. Speaking at the Railways Reform and Governance Conclave, organised by Governance Now in New Delhi on Friday, he said, “We have increased investment in this direction”.
Sinha highlighted ten key developments in the railways sector:
• Railways sector has prepared an investment roadmap of Rs 8.8 lakh crore.
• Budget allocation has increased to Rs 1.21 lakh crore this year from Rs 1 lakh crore allocated last year.
• Presently, 7 kilometres of railway lines are laid per day. The target has been set to 13 kilometres per day.
• Target of removing all unmanned railway crossing in next three-four years. 9,683 unmanned crossings already fixed.
• Target of increasing the non-ticketing revenue from 4-5 percent to 10 percent.
• IRCTC has been asked to do a third-party audit of cleanliness at all railway stations. Awards to be given to top ten clean railway stations.
• Railway week organised and officials working with utmost dedication and integrity to be awarded.
• The ministry has submitted action taken report to the parliament on 139 announcements made in the last budget.
• Work related to projects proposed for 2016-17 to be initiated within 6 months.
• Target of zero accidents and better reservation system by year 2020.
Since the budget has been announced, the ministry has already started doing preliminary work for achieving the targets mentioned in the budget. “We have recently entered into an MoU with ISRO for using space technology in railways,” Sinha added.
The Moral Contagion By Julia Hauser and Sarnath Banerjee HarperCollins, 140 pages, Rs 699 The world has lar
Addressing the Viksit Bharat Viksit Uttar Pradesh program in Lucknow on Monday, prime minister Narendra Modi launched 14,000 projects across the state, worth more than Rs 10 lakh crore at the fourth groundbreaking ceremony of UP Global Investors Summit held in February 2023. The projects relate to sectors
During the four days from Feb 16, more than a thousand birdwatchers throughout India are coming together with the goal of documenting as many birds as possible across the country’s diverse locations. Over one lakh birdwatchers globally participate in the annual Great Backyard Bird Coun
The Central Consumer Protection Authority has sought public comments on the ‘Draft Guidelines for Prevention of Misleading Advertisement in Coaching Sector’. The draft guidelines are placed on the website of the Department of Consumer Affairs and are accessible through the link:
In a landmark judgment, the Supreme Court of India has held the anonymous, unregulated and unlimited funding through electoral bonds and companies as unconstitutional. The five-judge Constitution Bench of the Supreme Court comprising chief justice DY Chandrachud and justices Sanjiv Khanna, B
The world is at the cusp of a revolution based on Industry 4.0 and green technologies, including AI, big data, IoT, EVs, solar power, etc., which offer developing countries the opportunity to leapfrog into economic prosperity. However, India’s gross expenditure on R&D (GERD) still stands at a mea