ADR analysis of affidavits: Every other winner has declared serious criminal cases
GN Bureau | November 11, 2020
About 68 percent of the winners in the Bihar assembly elections have declared criminal cases against themselves – and 51 percent have declared serious criminal cases including cases related to murder, attempt to murder, kidnapping or crimes against women, according to an analysis by the Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR).
ADR and the Bihar Election Watch analysed self-sworn affidavits of 241 out of the 243 winning candidates, and found that 163 (68%) winning candidates have declared criminal cases against themselves. In the previous election of 2015, the figure was 58%. Moreover, 123 (51%) winning candidates have declared serious criminal cases including cases related to murder, attempt to murder, kidnapping, crimes against women etc. The 2015 figure for this category was 40 percent.
Read the full analysis report here: https://adrindia.org/content/bihar-assembly-election-2020-analysis-criminal-background-financial-education-gender-and
Among other findings of the analysis:
• 19 winning candidates have declared cases related to murder (IPC Section 302) against themselves
• 31 winning candidates have declared cases of attempt to murder (IPC Section 307)
• 8 winning candidates have declared cases related to crimes against women
• Among the major parties, 54 (73%) out of 74 winners from RJD, 47 (64%) of the BJP’s 73 winners, 20 (47%) out of 43 winning candidates from JD(U), 16 (84%) out of 19 winning candidates from the Congress, 10 (83%) out of 12 winning candidates from CPI(ML)(L) and 5 (100%) out of 5 winning candidates from AIMIM have declared criminal cases against themselves in their affidavits.
• Among the major parties, 44 (60%) of the RJD winners, 35 (48%) of the BJP winners, 11 (26%) of JD(U), 11 (58%) of the Congress, 8 (67%) of CPI(ML)(L) and 5 of AIMIM winning candidates have declared serious criminal cases against themselves in their affidavits.
• 194 (81%) are crorepatis. The figure in 2015 was 162 (67%).
• Among the major parties, 65 from BJP, 64 from RJD, 38 from JD(U) and 14 from the Congress winning candidates have declared assets worth more than Rs. 1 crore.
• The average of assets per winning candidates is Rs 4.32 crore – up from Rs 3.02 crore in 2015.
• The winner with highest assets is Anant Kumar Singh of RJD (total assets Rs 68.56 crore)
• The winner with the lowest asset is Ramvriksh Sada Khagaria of RJD (Rs 70,000)
Other background details
• Education: 82 (34%) winning candidates have declared their educational qualification to be between 5th pass and 12th pass, while 149 (62%) winning candidates have declared having an educational qualification of graduate and above.
• Age: 115 (48%) winning candidates have declared their age to be between 25 and 50 years while 126 (52%) winning candidates have declared their age to be between 51 and 80 years.
• Gender: Out of 241 winning candidates analysed, 26 (11%) winning candidates are women. In 2015, out of 243 MLAs, 28 (12%) MLAs were women.
Somewhere Among the Stars: Reflections of a Mystic By Adi Varuni Kali/BluOne Ink, 282 pages, Rs 395 Decades ago, when an unknown N
The 13th National Voters’ Day was celebrated across the country Wednesday with president Droupadi Murmu gracing the national event held here. Kiren Rijiju, union minister for law & justice, was the guest of honour. The chief election commissioner, Rajiv Kumar, election commissioners Anup Chandra
The Indian Navy commissioned its fifth stealth Scorpene class Submarine INS Vagir on Monday at the Naval Dockyard, Mumbai in the presence of Admiral R Hari Kumar, Chief of the Naval Staff. Vagir was launched on November 12, 2020, under Project 75 (P75) and post completion of sea trials it w
Ahead of the Mumbai civic polls, former Maharashtra chief minister Uddhav Thackeray on Monday announced an alliance with Prakash Ambedkar`s Vanchit Bahujan Aghadi (VBA). Addressing a joint press conference, Thackeray said their grandfathers, Keshav Thackeray and Dr. B.R. Ambedkar, were conte
Ela R. Bhatt, the founder of SEWA, once said, “There is ample proof to demonstrate that women can and do build strong and vital organizations around issues that relate to them, and find viable solutions out of their own experiences.” Women Leadership Schools (WLSs) promoted by Se
The department of consumer affairs under the ministry of consumer affairs, food and public distribution released a guide, ‘Endorsements Know-hows!’, for celebrities, influencers and virtual influencers on social media platforms here on Friday. The guide aims to ensure that individuals do not mi